Monday, December 19, 2005


You know that feeling. Yes. That feeling. The feeling of Nirvana.
I don't want to brag and be prideful about it, but it's true: I've reached Nirvana.
Today, I have successfully packed 3 weeks of my life into a carry-on piece of luggage and a backpack.

Can you hear the choir in the background singing the Hallelujah Chorus?

This is one of my greatest achievements. I'd like to thank my parents, especially my father, for teaching me how to pack properly. A thanks is also thrown out to BYU for giving me a three week break so that my packing skills could be tried. And some cookies for the football team for getting us to a BOWL GAME!

Actually, the real reason that I packed so well is that it's an attractive quality. Well, at least for me, if a guy can pack efficiently, he's more attractive. I am specifically recalling a particular conversation last Friday when, as McKay was getting ready to go, I asked him if he needed help taking his stuff out to Deveren's car. He responded that he only had one bag, so my help wouldn't be needed.
One bag? McKay, for about 10 seconds after that conversation, I was swooning over your packing skills. Sigh...

What is so attractive about packing light? First, it's a sign that the person can be somewhat organized. Second, you know that the person isn't too worldly and needs that extra pair of shoes or bottle of shampoo. Thirdly (and most importantly), the amount of physical luggage is directly proportional to the amount of emotional luggage a person carries with them. If they can pack well, it means that they don't have extra stuff in the back of their mind that they can't let go of.
And that is why I try to pack well. That's the type of person I want to portray. So here I go: Vegas, Christmas in Chicago, and back to Utah again. All in a carry-on.

(actually, I also packed a bag within the carry-on so that I can bring Christmas presents home, so I'm not as efficient as I would like to be...stupid emotional baggage)

Ohhhhmmm. Ohhhhmmm.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting...though I do believe some people just have a lot of stuff..and don't like wearing the same clothes daily..


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.