Monday, July 03, 2006

Rockets Red Glare

I saw the fireworks on Saturday night; McKay and I went up to the temple and watched from there. They were very nice, but something surprised me:
How little people know about the meaning of fireworks. It has always seemed second nature to me that the fireworks represented the battles and the bombs associated with the cost of freedom that our country has paid, but twice this weekend I ran into people who had never made this association.
Now, of course, these people are wonderful, smart people, but it makes me wonder about our education system. For every other national holiday in elementary school, they go over its meaning: Thanksgiving, Columbus Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, President's Day, Memorial Day, etc. They go over meanings and symbolism (esp. Thanksgiving), but somewhere they are missing Independence Day. It may be that Independence Day happens when school is out for the summer, but somewhere along the way, it should be taught in schools, that when you watch the fireworks, to remember the men who lived through the real fireworks at the risk of their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.