Thursday, March 15, 2007

Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus...

So last night I was reading the Spencer W. Kimball manual for church; next week's lesson is "Discovering the Scriptures for Ourselves" and I felt a little more guilty than usual about not having read the Bible through. McKay and I started last year, but are only as far as Deuteronomy (I must admit, sometimes rushing out the door for school, we forget to do our reading together).
So this morning (in Deuteronomy), looking at the size of the Bible and feeling fairly safe that we won't start having children for a little while longer, the thought comes to me:
Why don't we wait to have kids until we finish the Bible?
Finishing the Bible is going to take us a while, admittedly.
Then, when we want to have kids, we can use that as an incentive to finish the Bible (not that I wouldn't want to, but having a deadline is much better for me). Sounds like a beautiful plan.

So, McKay and I finish with our chapter, and I turn to McKay and say, "Hey, why don't we wait to have kids until we finish the Bible?"

And surprisingly, the response was, "I was thinking that exact same thought..."

"Really? It's a sign..."

"Really, but not a sign."

Alas!
So, he thought it up, too, but I guess he'll want kids sooner than we'll finish the Bible (noting that at our rate, it'll be several years before we finish). Drat.

Also, McKay wanted me to note before I posted this that he doesn't actually want to wait until we finish the Bible to have kids. Just so you don't think he does, because he doesn't. Clarification out.

1 comment:

  1. McKay wouldn't be a true blue Farley if he didn't want kids already!!! Ha! You know I love you though man!

    Hey, I say, have kids when you feel you're ready to. It's a decision between you, your spouse, and God. Other than those three people, it doesn't matter what the rest of us think. So, it sounds like a good plan... just know that the Bible doesn't take all that long to read... just a though (because I'm full of them!!!)

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.