Monday, April 02, 2007


Aren't our marigolds beautiful? I have thinned them out some, but I must have planted around 30 seeds in that little pot. They keep coming up!

Our okra is almost up, too. I'm very excited about the okra. McKay actually bought some frozen okra and we had okra in our vegetable soup Saturday. I had forgotten how much I love it. I'm really excited to eat our fresh ones!


So my favorite talks:

All of Saturday morning's talks. Maybe it's because it was the first session, so I was paying special attention, but I got something out of each of those. Short recap of each:
Elder Richard G. Scott: Importance of prayer "I testify that our Father will always answer your prayers in the way and time that will be for your best eternal good."
Elder Jay E. Jensen: Importance of music and its power to invite the Spirit in our lives.
Elder John B. Dickson: Advised us to commit now to avoid falling in sin. I really liked this talk because it was very empowering. I felt very, "Yeah! I'm going to do that right now!"
Elder Jeffry R. Holland: Watching what we say to others. I need to work on this and keep my sarcasm to a minimum. "Our words, like our deeds, should be filled with faith and hope and charity...With such words, spoken under the influence of the Spirit, tears can be dried, hearts can be healed, lives can be elevated, hope can return, confidence can prevail."
Elder David A. Bednar: Parable of the pickle. I loved the parable of the pickle. I just love pickles. But it's message is good: you need to be cleansed and saturated with the Gospel as cucumbers need to be cleaned and saturated in the salt water to become pickles.
President Thomas S. Monson: President Monson spoke on death and the resurrection. "Through tears and trials, through fears and sorrows, through the heartache and loneliness of losing loved ones, there is assurance that life is everlasting. Our Lord and Savior is the living witness that such is so."

During the Saturday Afternoon Session, the Tabernacle was re-dedicated, so many of the talks were about the Tabernacle and its history, but I like history, so I liked this session.
Favorite talks (all of them again):
Boyd K. Packer: Spoke of the Tabernacle's importance in Church history. I like history. Read this one!
Elder Earl C. Tingey: Compared the work of President Hinckley to Brigham Young. More history and loved it.
Bishop H. David Burton: More history of the Tabernacle.
Sister Bonnie D. Parkin: Emphasized gratitude. "Gratitude is a spirit-filled principle. It opens our minds to a universe permeated with the richness of a living God. Through it we become spiritually aware of the wonder of the smallest things, which gladden our hears with their messages of God's love."
Elder Marlin K. Jensen: Remembrance and the use of "remember" in the scriptures.
President James E. Faust: History of the Tabernacle again!
President Thomas S. Monson: What the Tabernacle means to him.
President Gordon B. Hinckley: History and magnificence of the Tabernacle, also the dedicatory prayer.

Priesthood Session: I cleaned the house during these 2 hours, but McKay did say that there were about 50 football references and stories.

Sunday Morning Session:
President James E. Faust: Talked about the healing power of forgiveness. This is one of the best forgiveness talks I've ever heard. It made forgiveness seem more real for me. "If we can find forgiveness in our hears for those who have caused us hurt and injury, we will rise to a higher level of self-esteem and well-being."
Elder Dallin H. Oaks: He emphasized that "when a marriage is dead and beyond hope of resuscitation, it is needful to have a means to end it," but "for most marriage problems, the remedy is not divorce, but repentance." "Good marriage does not require a perfect man or a perfect woman. It only requires a man and a woman committed to strive together toward perfection." I like this one because I've been watching the attitudes of the young adult my age, at home and here at school. They feel that marriage is too limiting, but it's not really. You learn a lot about compromise and apology very quickly and become a better person.
Elder Neil L. Andersen: "It's true, isn't it? then what else matters?" A good talk for recommitting yourself to the Gospel.
Sister Vicki F. Matsumori: spoke to 1st generation members. This one led me to think a lot about my parents and what they did to join the Church and stay in the Church and raise us. Many kudos for them.
Elder Glen L. Pace: spoke about the Holy Ghost and how we feel the Spirit. "Once you feel it, you can never forget it." I liked this one a lot. I like feeling the Holy Ghost a lot, too.
Elder M. Russell Ballard: emphasised Bible study in our lives. I liked this one because it was encouraging for my attempt to read the Bible with McKay.
President Hinckley: Shared his testimony of the Godhead, Christ's atonement, Joseph Smith's First Vision, and the temple.

Sunday Afternoon Session:
Elder L. Tom Perry: He spoke on the Restoration and its history. I really enjoyed listening to this and imagining Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery being baptized and receiving the priesthood.
Elder Henry B. Eyring: Don't procrastinate in serving the Lord. "As hard as things are, they will be better tomorrow if members choose to serve the Lord today...they will feel the love of God and learn to love him more." I really liked this talk because there are some things I've been putting off and I should get on top of those as soon as possible.
Elder Gary J. Coleman: Spoke on how members of the Church are Christians and of the truths of the Gospel.
Brother Charles W. Dahlquist II: Spoke to the youth and young adults on being on the Lord's side.
Elder Yoshihiko Kikuchi: Spoke on tithing and its commandment and blessings.
Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf: The importance of the Atonement and grace of Christ in our lifves. "It is not repentance per se that saves man. It is the blood of Jesus Christ that saves us." He also spoke on how Satan tries to tell us that we are beyond repentance, but that this is not true. His exact words were "Satan is a liar!" Also, Elder Uchtdorf's English is getting much better. I hardly noticed his accent.
Elder Russell M. Nelson: Spoke on repentance and changing our lives. He also spoke on how we are dependent on the dead as they are on us.
President Hinckley: Gave his testimony and spoke to family members and reminded them to love one another. To husbands on wives: "They are your most precious possessions." To wives on husbands, we were told to pray for our husbands. To parents on children, "They are the coming generation who will bring honor to your name," and to speak to them kindly.

So I liked every talk. And you just read all of that. I suggest reading the May Ensign or Liahona when it comes out so you can get the whole talks! Very exciting!

1 comment:

  1. Man, I am going to have to come back and read what you said about every talk! I just wanted to let you know that I've never had okra before... but at our next imaginary meal together, I will definitely eat it if it is offered! ;)


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.