Monday, August 27, 2007

A Winner!

So when McKay tells me that I should make a dish a second time, I know that I've found a great recipe. When it's a recipe I made up on the fly, then there's hope for the world (if I can cook, then believe me, you can).

So here I'll share it with you. Now, I'll give you the recipe how I made it Saturday night, but add notes at the bottom about changes I'd make in the future.

Cajun Chicken Pasta- My goal for this was to make something similar to Chili's cajun chicken pasta. I love cajun anything, so I may have gone over board on the spices. Frankly, I think it's more flavorful than Chili's. This recipe fed 4, but seconds were very wanted by the company and by McKay.

3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
3-4 small white mushrooms, chopped
1 packet of alfredo sauce (you know the kind of packets...there's also taco seasonings and fajitas seasonings in the same area)
1 cup milk
2 tbsp margarine or butter
olive oil
cajun seasonings (amt. listed in directions for seasonings)
salt & pepper
Noodles (fettuccine)

Start boiling water for the noodles. Just cook them as you would any other day.

So, with the chicken cut into strips, cook it in olive oil with 2 tsp. cajun seasonings. How much olive oil? Oh, you know, put some in the pan so the chicken doesn't stick to the pan. Make sure the chicken is thoroughly covered in seasonings (I even added more at this point. I figured it couldn't hurt). Once the chicken is cooked, add the bell peppers and mushrooms and seasonings. I added more cajun, some garlic, some basil and a dash of salt and pepper. I also may have gone through the side of the cajun seasoning bottle and added various ingredients it mentioned (cayenne powder, more garlic, you know the drill). Mmmm... Cajun seasonings...
Now, I got out my packet for the sauce and poured the powder in and the ingredients it mentioned on the packet (although I used 1 cup milk instead of 3/4 cups and there may have been slightly more than 2 tbsp of butter). At this point I followed the directions on the packet: heat to boiling, let simmer 12 minutes. Then just add to the top of the noodles and enjoy!

Things I'd do differently:

  • Make more. If I were to feed 4 people this recipe again, I'd use 2 packets of alfredo and double the sauce. I might even use the whole green and red peppers and add more mushrooms. I bet adding green or regular onions would be tasty. I might adjust the chicken amount, too.
  • Actually use fettuccine noodles. When I made this on Saturday, we ended up using spaghetti noodles. Noodles taste like noodles to me, but for presentation purposes, I'd use fettuccine.
  • Ask the other couple if they like spicy food. I was lucky that this couple loves spicy food, but it definitely would have been too much for some people and some children. Okay, okay, I could have used more moderation in spices, but gosh! It's CAJUN! That's French for "Use as much of this bottle in one sitting as possible."
Have fun with that! I hope someone else likes it. It was so easy: fresh veggies, alfredo packet, and chicken. Easy and MSG-free (I those packets have MSG?)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good! Although, I wouldn't be surprised if it had monosodium glutamate... most prepared stuff does.


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.