Thursday, September 27, 2007

Finding my Niche

A couple of days ago, I spoke online with a friend of mine from high school. She's going into her senior year in English, she's a leader in her sorority, is taking the LSAT on Saturday, and etc. She was always a great friend and I was excited to see that she was online so I could chat with her. The conversation, though, was... strained.

I've been noticing this in general lately. It seems like that since I've been married and now I'm expecting, that my friends from back at home don't seem to know how to talk with me. I know it's different, but I don't know how (or if) I can make it easier on them. I think the real issue is that they don't know what to talk about. I can kind of understand that, especially with this hypothetical conversation:

Friend: Ugh. There's this boy. I can't tell if he likes me or not. He's lives down the hall from me, but his signals are so mixed, you know?
Me: Yeah... I remember those days... Well, I know my husband likes me...

Ok. That's not how it'd actually go, but I'm sure that's what they're afraid of. Plus, once you're married, your life becomes less interesting. Sure neither me nor my friends don't know what we did Friday night, but that's because they were at some random party and I was... well... it was like any other night. I probably knitted and McKay did homework.

So I was sitting around feeling sorry for myself that my friends don't contact me any more, and then I decided to go to Enrichment. I'm so glad that they email us about Enrichment! It was great. We canned applesauce! And all the women there I knew and understood. Most of them are mothers of young children; I was the only one there without kids yet. They're talking about teething and solid foods and playgroups and breastfeeding. While I can't entirely relate (yet), it was really nice to have conversation with women that weren't weirded out by my marital status.

And then! It gets better! If the secretary calls me back today, I'll have a ticket to the Relief Society Conference this weekend. I'll probably carpool with Sister E. and Sister P., both of whom are at least 15 years older than I am, but we get along great. I love them!

So, although I can't chat about how so-and-so's dating so-and-so and how it's not fair, I can find a place for myself in Relief Society. Oh man. Relief Society is the bomb.

1 comment:

  1. i definitely understand about the whole single vs. marrieds thing. it's always a little bit of a strain to talk to some singles, because you know they really couldn't care less about the color of your baby's poo, which is of VITAL importance to you at the moment... or in your case, what the size of your baby is (i was always saying things like, well, peanut is the size of a peach today!)

    there are seasons for some friendships - they come and go and bless your life while you have them... and then there's other friendships that are deeper than that, and you'll be friends no matter what your circumstances.

    enjoy both for what they are!

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.