Friday, September 21, 2007

Rounding up the week

So this week was interesting. On Wednesday, I went to Colorado and met Laura Shanley, author of Unassisted Childbirth. That was a long day, flew Denver in the morning, took the bus to Boulder, hung out in the afternoon, flew back in the evening. The only thing I paid for all day was the meal in the plane for dinner and the parking at the SLC airport.

Oh the airport! So I got "randomly selected" both times on Wednesday and you won't believe how fun that is nowadays. I guess people complained about how boring it is to be searched, that they created this fun new devices: air puff machines!


Now this is airport security at its best. "Stand still," they say as I'm buckling over with laughter. Your hair flies everywhere and it almost tickles! When I got "randomly selected" the second time, the lady in front of me waiting for her turn in the air puffer was a little wary. I told her not to worry and it'd be fun.

And afterwards, she admitted, I was right! If you never get a chance in one of those machines, you are missing out on the greatest government-enforced machine of all time. Good job, TSA!

The UC gathering was fun. I got interviewed for a documentary and I got free food and juice. The best part was meeting this one girl named Heather who is 38 weeks pregnant with her second. We really hit it off. She had some false labor last weekend, but is (as far as I know) still going strong!

Laura Shanley offered me one of her books, but I didn't have our checkbook and so I didn't want to take a book without paying for it. I should have, though, and sent her the check later. I could have gotten a signed copy! Sheesh.

Anyway, since then, I've caught up on my sleep and the house is more clean than it usually is by this time in the week.

And if anyone feels like getting outraged, check out this article. If that's not an attack on society, I don't know what is. I'm glad my marriage is eternal.

3 comments:

  1. argh! that article made me mad, too! what are you supposed to do with the kids at the end of your seven years? give them to the government and move on to your next 7 year marriage unimpaired? 'cause you know that relationship of mother/child should only have to last 7 years as well! just 'cause you might get sick of being a parent by then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great meeting you, Heather! I'll sign the book before I send it off!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound like a kinda fun machine... but I still hate airports. Glad you had a fun and interesting time! Let me know when you're famous. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.