Friday, November 02, 2007

Second Grade

A true conversation from yesterday in a second grade classroom.

"Mrs. Farley? Are you having a baby?"
"Yes, I am."
"Oh!" (more oohs and aahs and TONS of hands raised.

The children's comments will be in dark purple/blue, mine will be in violet.

"Is it a boy our a girl?"
"I don't know; it's going to be a surprise!"

TONS of hands went up at that point.

"My mom had a baby and
I said it was going to be a boy and my sister said it was going to be a girl. I was right."

"The doctors are going to have to open you up and get the baby out."
"Sometimes it happens that way. Not always, though."
"They did that for my mom."
"I know it does happen that way sometimes."

"What do you want it to be?"
smiling: "I'm hoping it's human."
"Why don't you want an animal baby?"
"I don't know how to care for an animal baby..."

And then we had to go on to computers and the open comment time was over for now.

But that one girl was right: Why don't I want it to be an animal baby? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.