Monday, February 11, 2008

The goings on

So on Friday McKay had a job interview and he got accepted into grad school. All very exciting!

I also gave him a haircut for his interview.

Meanwhile, we've been getting ready for this baby. Last night we made some goulash and froze some. We have 4-5 dinners in our freezer now waiting to be eaten for when the baby shows up. My goal is to have about 10 days worth by the time I go into labor.

We also did some baby shopping on Saturday. Saturday morning I bought a 99 cent blanket for initial baby warmth. I'll probably get plenty of baby blankets from baby showers and such, but I'd rather not use a nice blanket while the baby is still vernix-y. This way, we can just throw out the blanket and not feel guilty.

Secondly, I figure no one's going to actually buy a car seat for the baby shower (they're so darn expensive). So we got one. On mega sale. $25. I was hesitant to buy one- I don't actually think we'll be driving the baby around much. Everything I need is in walking distance: church, groceries, yarn store, post office, etc., and walking is better for me anyway. I would like to get a jogging stroller, but new ones are really expensive, so I don't expect to get one of those either. Kid to Kid had a few in the $50-75 range. We'll probably end up getting that there.

We also got some cheap towels and other supplies for the birth, which makes us a little more prepared.

I had a labor dream the other night- but I woke up before the baby actually was born. In the dream, I had gone to the bathroom. When I stood up, I noticed some water by my feet. "Maybe my water broke," I thought. I felt my belly and it was a shape it had never been before. "Oh. The baby dropped and I guess my water broke, too." Then in the dream, I called for McKay to get the towels we had just bought and I stood over those. However, we were in a strange dilemma: McKay had to leave in 10 minutes to catch a plane and I was suddenly in labor. We knew he wouldn't be able to stay for the whole thing and didn't know what to do. I knelt over the towels and felt the baby move down and felt myself stretching. Then I woke up. Pretty exciting. I remember not having any pain as the baby moved down and I had some contractions. The only thing I really felt was the stretching, but that didn't hurt.

I'm feeling great, the baby's moving a lot. It's uncomfortable to sit for long periods of time (like at church) but that's the worst of it all. A couple of months ago, I felt like this baby would come early- like mid/end February. Now that it's almost mid February, I feel like it's going to be another 2 months, which I don't mind. Pregnancy isn't that bad. I can do this for a while longer.

So that's our update. This Saturday we're planning on getting maternity pictures done- we just need to hear back from the photographer about a time.

1 comment:

  1. Church is unbearable, what with all those hard pews and what not. I'm not too jealous of you right now...


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.