Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Terrible Things

(what a title for Valentine's Day, huh?) I'll post something happier later.

I was reading Alisa's blog yesterday. There has been some Todo about this bill. I believe the underlined parts are the changes they are trying to make. It will prevent lots of women from being able to use a direct-entry midwife in the state of Utah. I have friends who have lots of heated opinions about the topic. To be honest, I'm at an impasse.

My initial reaction to this bill was, "Ok. Well, it doesn't concern me- UC is still legal. I'll just ignore it."

But that reminded me of a book called "The Terrible Things" by Eve Bunting. It's a children's picture book that introduces the Holocaust, but the idea works will all kinds of apathy. You can read some of it here.

The problem is that since I'll probably never use a midwife, I don't have a lot of heart in their plight. I'm choosing UC and any time that I really truly need assistance, it'll be dire and require an OB. I also feel that most every woman can learn to trust herself and her body and God to the point where she will be able to UC.

Midwifery can be a good stepping stone for women to learn to trust their bodies, but I'm also fearful that sometimes midwifes take the "good thing I saved you" attitude of doctors and prevent women from trusting themselves more fully.

Then there's where the Terrible Things come in. If this bill passes, midwifery will be limited, choices will be fewer, and legislation might go into fighting against UC, or at least make it more difficult to UC and make procedures surrounding UC more strenuous (such as acquiring a birth certificate). I'm NOT for limiting choices. Choices are a great tool for growth and education. As long as there are options available, women will continue researching birth and questioning the mainstream dogma. But if midwifery becomes too limited, some women will not research other options and just go with Big Brother. I'm all for agency. Agency is a great thing. In fact, it's one of the best things ever and allows us to be happy.

So part of me wants to help out in this cause, just for the cause of agency in birth choices. But part of me still is thinking, "This doesn't apply to me." At the moment, I just don't know. Thanks for reading my rant/moral struggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.