Friday, April 04, 2008

A Blurb

Margaret's napping right now.

I'll admit that this week had its ups and downs, but mostly ups. My downs only happened when McKay was here (not because of him, mind you), so they were easily fixed. In fact, he went out to the store and got me some of my favorite chewable antidepressants:


Nursing was a little bit of a struggle at first: all Margaret wanted to do was sleep. I'd have to wake her up to feed her otherwise she'd go 4 hours without anything, which is bad when your tummy is so small. Once my milk came in and I learned to control the engorgement it was much better. It's easier to nurse on demand now because I can actually tell when she wants to eat now.

Yesterday I took her outside for the first time. It was the first time since she was born that the sun was out and it wasn't overcast. We sat in the sun for about 20 minutes- then I brought her in because I didn't want her to sun burn. I need to get her a little sun hat so her head will be protected.

That little outing was my first nurse in public time. Well, it was in the parking lot of our apartment complex, so not entirely "public." I have discovered though, that when I nurse her, everyone gets to see my stretch-marked tummy. Maybe I should do something about that.

Things I've done today so far:
Taken out the trash
Cleaned the bathroom sink and toilet
Put dishes away

Wow. I'm productive. Well, Margaret's asleep.

But I feel like I need to be doing stuff- it's Conference Weekend. This happens twice a year: every spring and fall. This means it's time to change seasons in the house! Put away sweaters, bring out shorts, change the bedsheets to the cooler satin summer ones. We'll see how much of that actually gets done. I also want to re-arrange the pictures in the house. I got some pretty frames from a baby shower that I want to put up, so we're going to have to make space.

And for those of you who are interested in listening to Conference, I've put a little link here just for you.


  1. Ah yes, the postpartum stretchmark belly flab. Honestly, I don't know why people get all in a twitter about nursing in public. It's not the nursing I'd be interested in hiding, it's my exposed stomach and sides!

    A friend just sent me think fabulous link to how to Fight the Frump when nursing:

  2. Just use a blanket. Or one of those hooter hiders, or whatever they're called. But thanks for the update! You have been pretty productive. Kudos to you! And how about that let down? Good thing you've got some peanut M&M's to soothe away those frets. I've got like six bags of Cadbury mini eggs to help me... *B

  3. The first few wees of a newborn's life they sleep almost all the time. Eventually she will want to be awake more often.

    A little sunlight each week is good for vitamin D.

    As soon as you feel like it, please come to playgroup! We can help you feel more normal!

  4. Anonymous4:37 PM

    Wear your bra over your garments, the top stretches down just fine, that way your stomach is always covered by your top. If you don't want that exposed, then use a blanket just to cover the belly, that's what I use while ii walk and shop.


  5. Did you wear bella bands or anything like that as part of your maternity clothes? I wear mine now to cover up the tummy while I'm nursing. I don't care who sees my breasts, they look great right now and Wren's head is in the way unless you're staring, but my tummy, well, it looks like I gave birth 5 months ago :-)

    Nursing in public gets easier the more you do it and the better the two of you get at nursing in general.

  6. Hi!
    The tummy exposed while nursing....ahhh, I could NOT LIVE without this
    LOVE LOVE LOVE them, even wore them through the hot summer months without it sweating!


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.