Monday, April 21, 2008

Songs in my head: Monday

When I woke up, my head was singing American Pie. "Drove the Chevy to the levee..."

Other songs in my head on Monday:
Happy Song
Somewhere Over the Rainbow
My Dad


  1. Anonymous11:29 AM

    I have a question about an earlier post that you made regarding your desire to allow Margaret to determine her own interests, hobbies, and "image." I can definitely see how it can be hard, especially for parents, to try not to "mold" their child to the image they desire, and I respect that you want Margaret to become her own person, etc.

    My question lies in how you will incorporate your faith into this. I am not a religious person, so I want to say forthcoming that I do not mean to sound disrespectful and certainly don't want to appear rude like that previous breastfeeding comment.

    Generally, Christian faith presents women as nurtrers - wives and mothers. I'm sure that Margaret will grow up to be a very bright girl with many opportunities, but will you be teaching her as she grows in a way that would make it natural for her to create an image for her future in that way? As in, should other life goals that she may choose to have (career, hobbies, etc) be acceptable (so long as they are not as you mentioned, drugs or other bad things), yet becoming a wife and mother is something she "should" do? For example, if her life path would be compromised if she were to become a wife and mother.

    We all choose to embrace our womenhood in different ways. You have done so through being a mother and the choices you have made there -- even if they go against what society deems as "appropriate." Just wondering how you will go about this with Margaret. You seem to have a very deep sense of feminism and accomplishment which unfortunately, few parents have in raising daughters.

  2. I love the primary songs. I've had In the Leafy Tree tops in my head since Sunday, when I taught it in primary. I love A Happy songs. I love ducks as you know.


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.