Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Trial and Error

Some people have said that mothering is a trial. I'm sure it is at times, but for me, it's more trial and error.

Sometimes it's successful- like finding a nightlight and solving all sleeping problems (I've gotten a full night's sleep every night since then- not uninterrupted by hungry baby, mind you, but a solid 8 hours each night).

Sometimes it's less successful- like responding to "I'm hungry" cries but not succeeding. It took a while, but I've learned that "I'm hungry" also means "I need burping." Sure, you can lump those two messages into one, "My tummy is upset and needs fixing" except that "I'm hot and uncomfortable- take a layer of clothing off me" sounds a lot like "I'm hungry" in baby cries. But I will tell you, there's no way I can mix "I'm hungry" with "I'm hurting hurting hurting." That one's blatantly obvious.

One of my biggest fears with Margaret early on was if she was hydrated enough. Those first 2 days were sleeping fests instead of eating fests like I expected. A local LLL leader reassured me about her eating habits- sleeping a lot is typical those first 2 days and babies are born with extra fat for that reason, but if it continues after 48 hours, then you need to worry about waking them often to keep them hydrated. Well, it didn't continue after 48 hours- she ate great after that. But maybe a little "fear of dehydration" is still lingering in my mind...

The issue: I don't wear my baby around the house, so I don't get stuff done.
Reasonings behind this:

  1. The first week or so when I tried to carry her, I was still in early healing stages and couldn't carry her in the sling for longer than 15 minutes because my legs and hips would be tired. Because of this, the wrap was a "going out of the house"-only item. However, I've healed much since then.
  2. She sleeps so well. The wrap = instant nap about 90% of the time and won't wake up. That's where the fear of dehydration still lingers. But she's an 11 pound, 23 inch baby, growing very well, and she doesn't need to eat every 2 hours anymore like a newborn.
So today's experiment. I'm going to wear her all the time and I'm going to get stuff done (or so I say). I'll at least wear her all the time and think about getting stuff done.

1 comment:

  1. Babies know what they need. A lot of growing and developing can only happen during sleep.

    Not knowing what the baby is saying is very frustrating. Even the second time around, we're still saying "What? What do you need? What?" It's a lot of experimenting.

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.