Tuesday, May 06, 2008

A cold

About 4:30 in the morning, I reaped some of the benefits of parenting. Poor Margaret has a cold. I knew something was up yesterday when she would wake up crying- she never cries when she wakes up normally. Her crying would stop once I picked her up, but I had no idea what was causing it. We discovered a leaky nose last night and in the middle of the night, I woke up to her sniffles (she was awake, too). This is her very first cold- quite exciting, I suppose.

So 4:30am, poor Margaret was sniffling and couldn't sleep because of her stuffy nose. Boy, do I know how that feels. I had the same issue during the 2 weeks prior to her birth- could have been allergies, could have been weird end-of-pregnancy hormones, who knows? Anyway, she doesn't know how to blow her nose (obviously). I picked her up, walked around with her and finally gave in to the nasal aspirator. I know babies don't like those, so I really didn't want to have to use it (and until now, we haven't needed it- even for the birth). She didn't seem to mind the aspirator (I was being very gentle with it). But in the end, you can't suck all the stuff out of a nose because it keeps making more. I just lied her back down and fed her and stared at her and she stared back. It was kind of like she understood that I really couldn't help her with her cold and that I had tried everything; she trusted me and understood when I couldn't do anymore- she was just so patient with me. Eventually Margaret did fall asleep and after a while I got back to sleep.

We're taking naps today, though.

4 comments:

  1. I've always noticed that irony with the nasal aspirator! I don't end up using it much either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just submitted an article about how to help congested babies. I'll post the link when it is published.

    In the meantime, try turning your shower on very hot and sitting with her in the steam for ten minutes. Also, try to keep her at an angle instead of lying flat to help keep the nasal passages.

    Oh, and use your bulb syringe to put a drop of breast milk in each nostril. Breastmilk is antiviral and antibacterial.

    Deirdre has a cold and is having a miserable time nursing, so I sympathize.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wren had her first cold at about the same age. We did the steamy shower thing which seemed to help. Some eucalyptus essential oil on a cotton ball in the room also helped her breathe more comfortably.

    If she's reluctant to nurse because she's stuffy, try nursing her in a recliner-type chair propped in a more upright position. Or in the wrap if you've mastered nursing in it. I really couldn't until Wren learned to sit up by herself a bit more.



    I know what you mean about the trustful look. Wren will look up at me with big eyes as if she's saying, "i don't really like it, but if you think it's best mommy".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah - here we go.

    http://busymommy.us/index.php/What-To-Do-If-Your-Baby-Is-Congested.html

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.