Monday, May 05, 2008

Saturday is a special day...

It's the day you get locked out of your car.

Garage sale-ing. Wymount had a garage sale, so I went up there and sold some stuff with a friend. I made $7. Not the best, but I did get rid of stuff. The rest will be either freecycled or DIed.

Then I come home. I see McKay running out of the house and towards a truck. I park and start unbuckling Margaret. McKay comes back and hands me the phone- he's going to help his brother out- and he runs off again. I get out of the car and approach the door. I search my pockets for my keys. Great. I don't have them. I go back to the car and sure enough, there they are on Margaret's blanket.

My reflection in the window of the car- see the keys inside?

What to do? I go and change Margaret's diaper (good thing I grabbed my tote bag!) on a grassy area outside. I call McKay to see how long he'll be gone- 2 hours. I can handle 2 hours out of the house.

She's hungry, so I find a place to sit- the grass was too wet/muddy. I feed her and she has another diaper explosion (but luckily it didn't make it onto her clothes). I change her on the grass again. I realize I need to use the restroom and I'm hungry as it's noon. Taking a little inventory of the neighborhood, I decide: grocery store.

Grocery store. It's only a block and a half away, so I walk there. I learn how useful the wrap is: I can use the restroom without worries. I obviously wasn't going to find a random stranger and ask, "Hey- do you mind watching my newborn while I use the restroom?" And had I owned one of those bucket carriers, it wouldn't have been able to fit in the stall with me (the wheelchair accessible stall was taken by someone on their phone- eww- I hope they washed their phone. But with the wrap, I can do everything and wash my hands without touching my babe. It was great.
I stop by the deli and buy a sandwich and drink. Next stop: a place to eat.

Lunch time. There's a park near our house, so I head that way to find a table to eat at. On the way, though, I see a couple in our ward carrying shopping bags- they just got off the bus and are headed home. They were once in my singles ward so we go way back. I chat with them and they invite me to eat my sandwich at their place. Plus, they have cookies.

The end. I chat with them- she's doing her master's thesis on health insurance and how it affects fertility, so she's one of those people who likes to discuss gender issues. We have a great time discussing gender and cultural influences on it- it was a lot of fun. McKay calls me and comes to pick me up; it's been two hours. And it was so much fun. Sure, I would have been way more productive had I not left the keys in the car, but I would have missed out on a little adventure.

Which reminds me, I was going to borrow some books from Sister M and I left them at their house. Mental note: find time to borrow their books!


  1. Sounds like a serene experience, actually

  2. Sounds nice...sometimes the unplanned moments turn out to be the nicest!


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.