Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Relief Society Love

I love Relief Society and I love it all the time. However, my reasons for loving it change. I think about half a year ago I was in love with it because of Enrichment. And I think I've been in love with because of visiting teaching, too.

But right now, my love is different, let me explain.

I'll admit, I don't have the best people skills- especially in the area of small talk. Small talk wasn't valued in my family when I was growing up, so I never learned it. Of course, some small talk is just "How's the weather?", but I'm currently learning the value of sincere small talk- it helps you learn about people- their interests, goings on, needs. These are all valuable things to know (especially if you're a visiting teacher). Also, small talk keeps you from being that "weird distant one." I know that it's because of my lack of small talk that when I'm in a new situation or with lots of people that I feel left out.

Relief Society is one of those places with lots of people coming and going- and it's wonderful. Every week you get a new chance to try to be friendly and kind. Even if you offend someone one week, you can go again and fix it the next (and if you're going to enrichment, you can fix it sooner than that). It's like unlimited practice of people skills!

And if you mess up and estrange yourself one week and offend every single person in the room, they can't keep you away the next week! What are they going to say, "I'm sorry, you're not a woman"? And what better place to practice loving others and fixing offenses than at a place you'll always be welcome no matter what?

I know the pull not to go to Relief Society- I've felt it. I've gone and wondered, "Who here thinks I'm _____?" and I spend good precious time wondering what people are thinking instead of just being myself and moving on. Ralph Waldo Emerson said, ""For every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness. " I'd like to say, for every minute you spend being paranoid about what other people are thinking, you lose sixty seconds of preventing and fixing any misnomers.

So yes, right now I love Relief Society because it's a constant, continuing way for me to grow. I keep myself from growing by no going- why wouldn't I want to go?

3 comments:

  1. Here Here!! I agree with the RS struggle...it's especially tempting to skip b/c it's first hour for me. Fortunately they have me teaching every couple of weeks so at least I'm on time once a month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that was the best explanation of RS I have EVER heard! I especially like the part about getting to try again every week. It is nice to have a place you know you are always welcome, even if you mess up sometimes!

    PS. Your vacation looked fun-- I'm sorry you got sick

    PPS. We should get together for that lunch sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this great post! I am right there with you. Yes, an excellent time to develop skills in associations, forgiveness, and optimism! I am guilty of being very paranoid about what they think!

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.