Monday, June 02, 2008

Things I wanted to say in RS

Yesterday in Relief Society we ran out of time and I didn't get to make the comment I wanted, so I'm going to make it here and elaborate (if you can't use your blog as a soapbox, what good is it then?). The lesson was on the last two talks that Elder Wirthlin has given in Conference.

There was a lot of discussion on being kind to others and serving them. We discussed "the errand of angels" and befriending each other within Relief Society.

I'd like to say that marriage and giving birth has taught me a lot about friendship. While it's nice to be kind to each other, what we really need to do is give each other unabashed, unlimited, unconditional support. About a month before I had Margaret, one of my friends told me that she and some other of my friends were going to fast for me. While I don't mind being fasted for, it was a little upsetting that they were afraid for me and didn't fully believe in me. I had other friends, though that when they heard of my plans to UC said, "That's great!" and were behind me 100%. Their support was wonderful and uplifting and full of faith. They weren't afraid for me- they were excited. I knew they would support me no matter what.

McKay does that for me, too. When I first told him about PPH, I fully expected him to tell me I was in way over my head because that's the kind of reaction I was used to, but he didn't. He said that he thought I should go ahead and do it and still supports me in it.

That's what I really needed- and I believe that's what everyone needs- enthusiastic, constant support. And it's what Relief Society is for- supporting every woman in her life decisions, because that's what Christ does for us. I hope that I give other people the exact same kind of support in all of their choices.

3 comments:

  1. Hello! I just found your blog through a Google Images search for A Thinking Woman's Guide, which I'm currently reading. Just wanted to say, I'm fascinated by your UC story, glad it all worked out for you, and I hope motherhood is still going well!

    I love hearing stories of first-time moms who "got it" and were able to trust their bodies. Unfortunately, for my first, I didn't know enough about birth, although I thought I did, and I had a long hospital labor with somewhat mismanaged care that ended in a C-section. I initially planned for an HBAC this coming October (still somewhat hoping), but my husband doesn't feel good about it. So I'm reading up, trying to relax, eat well, and stay in shape, and relying on a doula and the Spirit to help me with a hospital VBAC.

    Elder Wirthlin's talk this conference was my absolute favorite. "Some are lost because they are different..."--it's so true.

    Anyway, just wanted to say hi, and good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, I would love to go to a mother's blessing. I had never heard of those. I love baby showers, but I have to agree--so much of the chatter at those focuses on the pain of labor, "get the epidural," etc. etc. I find that baby showers aren't a good place to argue, so I don't usually say anything besides maybe a mild, "It's not so bad" or, if asked my opinion, "What really matters is that the mom has a choice."

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.