Friday, July 11, 2008

A baby was born here

I believe it was February 2007 that I showed up at the door with chicken pot pie. The Youngs had only 2 days prior welcomed a new member of their family and I was bringing them dinner. I was met at the door by Brother Young and I set the warm pie dish on their kitchen counter.

"Where's Sister Young and the baby?"
"Oh- She's out shopping with the kids."
"The hospital let her out already?"
"We had the baby here."
"Oh. That's cool."

A couple of months later, I was in the same house at a dinner party, but the Youngs had moved out.

"A baby was born here. The Youngs had their baby here."
"That's what people have said."

To me, that was such an amazing thought- I was in a home where a baby was born! The new tenant didn't seem to have the same amount of enthusiasm I had for that bit of information. They weren't upset or negative about it or anything, but they weren't bursting with amazement about it like I was.

It was in November or December that I first went to my friend, J's, house. They had their daughter at home. I've sat in their house wondering what it must have been like for J to have labored there. She is a social laborer and had lots of friends for the birth- and knowing some of the people who were there, I've tried to imagine what sort of side conversations were going on and what the atmosphere must have been like.

And then in March, I gave birth at home. I remember where I labored, what music was playing, and the strength of my vocalizations. When I'm in the bathroom, I remember the times that I tried laboring on the toilet. when I sit on our exercise ball, I remebmer myself draped over it, relaxing and focusing my way through contractions.

I know where I was when I brought Margaret up out of the water for her first breath, where we first cuddled all together as a family. The sounds, the smells, the "I just had a baby" feeling. It makes this apartment sacred, holy to me. It'll be a strange day when we move out.

When we have people over, I sometimes want to say, "Over here was where our birthing pool was! And here was the couch I sat on when we took our first family picture!" I wish they could see that this little apartment is more than just a little, half-under-the-ground studio. This home is special.

A baby was born here.


  1. Heather that's beautiful! And I feel the same way now...what a blessing to be relaxing at home with my new baby.

  2. I love telling people they are in the aproximate location of the birth tub. I love saying we had our baby at home. I love homebirth so much I've been tempted to start asking everyone if they are planning on having their baby at home, instead of just where are you have the birth. Now I hadn't grasped, until you said it, how a space is made saced by having a birth there. Isn't sad how that is not true of hospitals. And since we already as LDS consider our homes to be as sacred a space as a temple, isn't it the perfect place to welcome a sacred being.

  3. I found this quote and immediately thought of your post. Hope you appreciate it!

    “From lowest place when virtuous things proceed, the place is dignified by the doer’s deed,” said Shakespeare. The most sacred of places, then, will always be those locations which God has designated for holy and eternal purposes, locations where he is the “doer of the deed.” These places are revered forever by his faithful children wherever they may be.
    ~ Jeffrey R. Holland

  4. I love how you put that! Maybe I will get a sign that says "a baby was born here" to put on my door. We are moving from our apartment where asher was born this month and It is going to be really sad for me. But I am excited for the day when I can drive my son past the house and point out the him where he was born. Sometimes when I sit in my front room I get overwhelemed with remembering the sacred feeling our home had the first few days he was born. There was NOTHING like it and the only way to describe it is HOLY.


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.