Wednesday, July 02, 2008


A continuation of this post.

Opposition against allowing CPMs to practice

This is just a guess, but I'll include my sources. I'm guessing that the AMA's recent statement about homebirth is going to cause some trouble with the midwifery bill in Utah. From what I've heard in the birthing circles, the UMA has been one of the proponents for limiting who can use a midwife in a homebirth. The UMA website causes me to believe that they'll back the AMA's stance on homebirth because they link to the AMA's "Calls to Action." While homebirth isn't on the official AMA "Calls to Action" page, with their recent statement, it probably will be.

I'll recall the AMA's stance on legislation concerning homebirth:

RESOLVED, That our AMA develop model legislation in support of the concept that the safest setting for labor, delivery, and the immediate post-partum period is in the hospital, or a birthing center within a hospital complex, that meets standards jointly outlined by the AAP and ACOG, or in a freestanding birthing center that meets the standards of the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care, The Joint Commission, or the American Association of Birth Centers.” (Directive to Take Action)

So with the AMA's statement, I'm betting the UMA will make this harder.

Not that it wasn't already difficult. The senator pushing the restrictions, Margaret Dayton was an RN who married an OB. I'm sure she's got plenty of birth-going-wrong stories which is why she'd be for restricting midwives. I wonder, though, how many interference-free births she's witnessed.

Opposition from within the birthing community?

But when we turn to the midwives, are they truly helping their cause? I know a lot of doulas and people who are very pro-homebirth in Utah Valley, but even some of them are hesitant to go up to the capitol next week. Some feel that the midwives are using the pro-homebirth women for their own agendas and don't feel like they are really listening to the desires of the women of Utah. Their "compromises" in the bill don't feel like compromises to the women it affects. One woman has said that she sort of feels like the midwives are using the mothers as minions for their own purposes.

I guess that's what we women are up against. Honestly, the plight of the midwives isn't something that I care too much about, but I do want to ensure that women can choose where and with whom they want to birth. Agency is vital to the human experience and every mother deserves it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.