Friday, August 01, 2008

Myths Busted

Happy World Breastfeeding Week!

I chose to breastfeed because formula is so detrimental to babies (also see here and here).

I knew some women have trouble with it, and I did NOT want to be one of those women, so I researched and researched. I went to LLL and learned what a correct latch was. I watched videos on latch from youtube. I vowed I'd never buy a bottle- I don't own one at all.

But I still had some trouble. My nipples were sore from Margaret's suckling the first few weeks. It sometimes took 45 minutes to get a good latch- well, to get her to latch period. Margaret was very picky and would only latch if it was perfect, which meant I never had cracked or bleeding nipples, nor blisters, but it did mean that I would get frustrated trying to get her on- a couple of times to frustrated tears. I was engorged every morning for weeks because she eats less at night and my breasts fill up so much. I still occasionally (even 2 days ago) deal with this when she goes from growth spurt to eating practically nothing. I had, and still have, overactive letdown, which causes Margaret to pop off and wait until the flow slows, getting me and her and everything around us very wet. I've had a small bout with mastitis. She prefers to lie down to nurse- to the point where she has refused to nurse with me sitting up, crying very loudly, until I was able to get home and lie down with her.

But I still do it. And I love it. I love milk dribbling down her lips. It's amazing to look at her and think that the 7 pounds she's gained and all her energy since birth has come from me and my calories. It's nice to know that I can always comfort her. There is so much I don't have to worry about when we're out and about- I've still yet to buy a diaper bag.

I want all mothers to erase their preconceived notions of breastfeeding. It doesn't have to hurt. It doesn't tie you down.

So, here are some sites that deal with breastfeeding myths. Check them out!
25 Breastfeeding myths
15 More Breastfeeding myths
Answers from the LLL
Concerns addressed

And I like this article about guilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.