Friday, September 26, 2008


I was reading a Shape of a Mother post today and the woman is recovering from a cesarean. She said that sometimes she feels like she wasn't "meant" to be a mother because she had to have a c-section instead of a vaginal birth.

And I remembered the lady I met a couple of months ago that said she didn't know why she had a cesarean- the doctor didn't tell her, and she was left with feelings of inadequacy and post partum depression. She said she'd like a homebirth for her next child.

My heart goes out to these women. I can't really relate, but I'm sorry. This reminded me of an article called You Should Be Grateful that I read a few months ago . I bookmarked it. If you had a cesarean, I really recommend reading it.

I have the utmost respect for women who've VBACed. Sure, I had a UC which some people say is "brave," but I think it is far more brave to overcome the memories of being told that your body can't give birth on its own and that you're deficient. I didn't have to do that. Kuddos and applause to those women!

And I've heard that ICAN now has forums where you can talk to other women who've had c-sections and VBACs. I found that online forums can be a great source for encouragement and support when you can't find it elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.