Tuesday, October 28, 2008

All about the hat

Last week, I found this lovely hat at DI for $10- not too bad. (click to zoom in)

The tag on the inside says "Gage" in the same cursive script found here, so I'm assuming this hat was made by Gage Brothers & Co. Even with my mad googling skills, I wasn't able to find much about the company. They started making hats in 1856; I've found newspaper clippings dating around 1890-1940. My best guess is to say that the hat was made in the early 20th century- it's possibly 60 or more years old. The netting is torn at one place, but overall it's in good condition. The tags even say "union made" so I know the workers got paid.

Margaret's a better model:

6 comments:

  1. She looks so cute in that hat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an awesome hat! Very dashing. Girls can be dashing, right? *B

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love DI and the like! good find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I LOVE that last picture of Margaret!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a find! Love the feathers :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that hat! What a great DI find.

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.