Monday, October 06, 2008

Not Affiliated

Now, I don't usually use my blog to talk politics, but yesterday I ran into a "Vote Republican because the rest of Utah is going to so I might as well" person. It make me very upset. Peer pressure isn't the way to vote. (Oh and btw, would you believe that Utah was once a strongly Blue State- and that was back in the day when there was a higher percentage of LDS people in the state?)

I'm not a registered anything and I won't tell you who I plan on voting for, though I'm very much leaning towards writing someone in. I feel like I the whole point of voting "for" someone is that you are voting for them- not against the other candidate. If I'm going to vote for someone, I'm going to agree with a lot of their stances and not have reservations. I'm going to vote with a clear conscience.

I can't in good conscience vote for McCain/Palin, but I don't agree 100% with Obama/Biden, although he would be a breath of fresh air in the Oval Office.

Everybody: remember we don't have a two-party system. There are many other parties to look at that may line up better with your views than you think. Please vote FOR someone, not against.

1 comment:

  1. I've considered myself an independent for a long time. For a long time, it was because I hadn't looked around to see if there was a party I wanted to be affiliated with. Then I did some research...and really found nothing that matched me, so I have remained independent. I do wish, though, especially if you end up writing someone in, that you tell us about them, and why you chose to vote for them, and in that way, at least I can be impacted by your experience.


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.