Monday, October 27, 2008

Soft Spoken

Last night, a friend of mine introduced me to the book, The Soft Spoken Parent by H. Wallace Goddard.

I had a chance to skim/read the first half. It's an easy read, so it wasn't hard to get through it. As a book it's more of a "How to Change your Perspective As a Parent" instead of "How to Discipline your Children." I really liked that approach. Discipline isn't "How can I control my child and get her to do what I want;" it's, "How do I respond like Christ?"

Goddard is an LDS author and uses quotes from General Authorities and the scriptures. In the Introduction, he emphasizes this scripture:

Ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, and it is also written before you, that thou shalt not kill, and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment of God; But I say unto you, that whosoever is angry with his brother shall be in danger of his judgment. And whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council; and whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire (3 Nephi 12:21–22).
I really like this- not only does he remind us that we're supposed to only speak kindly of and towards other people, he reminds us that this also applies to our children. We shouldn't get angry or frustrated with our children, we should respond to them with kindness.

Goddard is honest- and knows that we aren't perfect parents. The book is in workbook form because he acknowledges that we are works in progress as parents.

So yes, I definitely recommend it.

You can read an excerpt here.


  1. I haven't read this one, but I have read Christlike Parenting by Latham who is also LDS but does not necessarily write to an LDS audience and it sound similar so you might want to check it out (he also has another book that I intend to read) and I will have to check this one out sometime soon.

  2. Thanks for the review. I've actually read the intro to this book several times at the store and really enjoyed it.

    But parenting books always leave me feeling a little overwhelmed and confused. I'm trying to replace the mountain of parenting books I've checked out from the library with just solid scripture-study time. I think that would have a bigger and more positive impact on my parenting.

    Although you almost tempt me away from my resolution.


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.