Saturday, November 15, 2008

I need a Tylenol now

So when I planned out my babywearing week, I didn't plan this. So you all get an extra post.

I was Amy who first Twittered it. My friend Emily posted about it. And here are a couple of other posts for kicks and giggles.

To be honest, I don't have much to add to what the amazing people above have already said. I can give you my reaction play by play in purple and italics:

Wearing your baby seems to be in fashion. Fashion? While some carriers are certainly cute, I don't use my baby as an accessory. Babies are people, not bling.

I mean, in theory it’s a great idea. It's a great idea in reality, too.

There’s the front baby carrier, sling, schwing, wrap, pouch. Not sure what a schwing is, but you forgot to list Mei Tai ;)

And who knows what else they’ve come up with. Wear your baby on your side, your front, go hands free. Who's the "they" here? Because it sounds like you're dissing millions of women all over the world who have been doing this for millennia.

Supposedly, it’s a real bonding experience. "Supposedly" is backed by many studies.

They say that babies carried close to the bod tend to cry less than others. You've changed who "they" are. See above studies.

But what about me? Do moms that wear their babies cry more than those who don’t?

I sure do! I'm sure whoever "I" is is being truthful- I can't refute her experience, but in my experience, I've never cried because of babywearing. And implying that babywearing moms cry more- do you have a study for that?

These things put a ton of strain on your back, your neck, your shoulders. Did I mention your back?! There are ways to find carriers and positions that hurt less. Brightonwoman discusses the misunderstanding about bad backs here.

I mean, I’ll put up with the pain because it’s a good kind of pain; it’s for my kid. Ah. Because motherhood is a one-way street. I babywear because of benefits to me also.

Plus, it totally makes me look like an official mom. Ah, the fashion thing again. I like how one blogger said it, "if you are shallow enough to think that being a mom is only about the way YOU look doing it, then you missed the whole point of being a mom in the first place."

And so if I look tired and crazy, people will understand why. Not sure what the point of this was. Aren't you taking Motrin now? Isn't the point of this ad to tell us that with Motrin we will no longer look tired and crazy?

Why don't they mention the pain of lugging a 5 pound bucket seat + 20 pound baby around in their ad? What about carrying your baby in your arms- Margaret definitely feels heavier in my arms than in a carrier where the weight is distributed across my entire back and on my solid child-bearing hips? Or do they expect us to never pick up our babies ever? Probably want us to buy more Motrin.

Sure, motherhood does come with its occasional aches and pains, Motrin, but don't make fun of your target market. Making fun of babywearers isn't going to get you their business. You've certainly lost mine.


  1. I'm not a babywearing mom...but this was totally offensive. seriously...who is their marketing manager?

  2. Oh my goodness, this was very entertaining. Just proves once more how you need to be aware of what you see & read in ads - they really play the gullible market...

    I love my sling(s)! :)

  3. Great post. I linked to it in my post today.


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.