Monday, December 29, 2008

Facebook Nurse-in

The Run Down: We had about 10 moms there over the 3 hours- probably 20 or more if you want to count children, husbands, grandparents, and other supporters. We had supporters from as far away as France! Another group, called the Raging Grannies sent a representative to support us.

The online protest had over 11,000 moms participate and change their profile pictures. When we first started talking about this about a month ago on the group, "Hey, Facebook, Breastfeeding is not obscene (Official Petition to Facebook)" there were 50,000 members of that group. There are now over 70,000 members.

Media who was there:'s post about the nurse-in
abc7 was there. Here's their article.
The Mercury News was there also.
Palo Alto Daily's article
Palo Alto Weekly was there- when their article is up, I'll post it. I just got off the phone with them 10 minutes ago, so I expect it'll be up tomorrow.

Media who was not there, but jumped on the bandwagon anyway:
Fox News- used abc7's video

Pictures 2-5 in the slideshow are courtesy

As for my thoughts? It was fun and exciting. I would really love Facebook to re-evaluate their policies and I'm going to continue trying to contact them.

At one point a reporter asked, "Why you?" I discussed how I don't want women to be ashamed of breastfeeding, but the question brought up other thoughts. Why me? Maybe it's in my blood. When I was little, I remember wishing that women didn't have the vote so I could be a suffragist. It wasn't fair that I wasn't born in the late 19th century! I wanted to walk the streets and be a part of the cause! I once took one of those Internet personality tests that list compatible occupations for your personality. First one listed for me? Activist. Coincidence? Last month when I was having a tough week, I re-read the book I had people sign when I graduated high school. More than one friend said they'd look for me in the news in the future. I guess I always had that vibe. There are so many good causes out there- why not join one? or many?


  1. What bothers me is that they keep insisting they support most breastfeeding but they keep removing pictures that very clearly fit their guidelines.

  2. I'm glad you did this! I was just asking on Twitter whether anyone had yet, because I'd totally go, and Hobo Mama directed me here. :-)


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.