The Crunchy Domestic Goddess asked us what our green goals are for this year.
In 2009, I hope to:
- Get a new bike and a bike for McKay.
- Remember to recycle on a more regular basis. We have a recycling box that we have to take to the Provo recycling drop off, but I forget to ask McKay to take it there and it just sits here with papers and plastics just waiting for me.
- Re-use more glass jars. Provo doesn't recycle glass, so I'm trying to make an effort to keep our glass jars and use them leftovers instead of the plastic Ziploc containers.
- Get a Diva cup. Still haven't gotten one, but I've been using cloth. It has cut my periods in half (makes you wonder what they put in the disposable stuff, doesn't it?) and anything that shortens my periods is a good thing.
- Figure out a better way to get to the laundromat. I've been driving there this past month because Margaret is getting big and wearing her on my front and carrying the laundry on my back in the ice and snow is a recipe for falling. But the laundromat is only 2 blocks away. It really is a waste to drive.
- Use less air conditioning. Let's pray for a cooler summer! It does help that we live on the first floor and not the third, though.
- Use more re-purposed yarn in my knitting. I'd like to knit a sweater, but yarn for a sweater is expensive (like $60). An old sweater at the thrift store and then taking it out and reusing the yarn? Much cheaper.
- Keep up on our car maintenance- the better it runs, the more efficient it is when we do use it.
- Use more eco-friendly chemicals from beauty products to cleaning products. When I buy new ones, I'm trying to make sure they're safer.