Sunday, February 08, 2009

This Week In Lactivism

While my blog was on a lactivism pause this week due to McKay's new insistence that he gets the laptop Monday through Thursday for schoolwork, a few of my favorite bloggers posted about breastfeeding.

Emily re-posted an essay, The Problem with Breastfeeding, about the marketing angle of breastfeeding.

PhDinParenting posted the first of what she says will be a series about where our culture got off track. Her first post is about children's television. I really liked the Mr. Roger's segment- I saw it first last week. I'll post it to the bottom of this post.

Rixa of Stand and Deliver explained why we need to see more breastfeeding. When I was interviewed by various TV stations about the Facebook nurse-in, I made it a point to never say, "You can't see anything anyway," about breastfeeding because I never wanted to imply that it would be wrong if you could see something. I'm glad she hit that point- I don't think I ever made it clear here.

Also, another virtual nurse-in is being organized for Facebook, along with a letter-writing campaign. There is an example of a letter that you can use at the link.


Emily also found another essay about birth outcomes, examining the effects of the implications that a live baby and mom is all that matters after a birth. This doesn't fit into lactivism, but I wanted to share it anyway.

And now for some good ol' public television!

3 comments:

  1. Wren really enjoyed watching all the babies having "na-na"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew I liked Mr. Rogers! What a great clip, it gave me happy mothering feelings just watching the babies nurse-- and Asher watched the whole thing too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great video! I love how Mr. Rogers talked about nursing as a completely natural way of feeding a baby anything. I think one of his focuses throughout his program was love---and he showed how feeding babies really is an expression of that.
    Kinda weird, but when I found out he had passed away, I actually cried--I guess it's just his sincerity that had really touched me growing up.

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.