Tuesday, March 17, 2009

WFMW: Good Food, Good Price

I've lately been trying to make sure that the food that we eat isn't poisonous. McKay's on board- in fact, last Saturday when we needed to make pies (pi day!) quickly, I was tempted to buy some pre-made pie filling. However all of pre-made fillings had high fructose corn syrup. If you hadn't heard, some foods with high fructose corn syrup also have mercury. Here you can find a list of which products were found to have mercury. We've been HFCS-free for a little while, now, but it is amazing how many foods have it.


When we went HFCS-free, one of the first foods I noticed that we had to find substitutes for was jelly. At the grocery store, almost ALL the jams and jellies had HFCS- and the ones that her HFCS-free cost $4/jar. We definitely needed a substitute. Enter the dollar store.

Our dollar store is amazing. We found jelly without HFCS! (see pic!)
Our dollar store is also awesome in that they will carry organic foods. And on Tuesdays, they have 88 Cent Tuesday! It's quite the deal.









So, try the dollar stores. You might be surprised at what you can find. Dollar stores work for me.
To see more WFMW, click on the icon above.

8 comments:

  1. never thought of that! We also find organics at Big Lots. Check those expiration dates though...sometimes the deal has turned out to be not so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW that is AWESOME!!!!

    I too have been searching for ways to not feed my family poison and I found a great way.... check out my blog, because it's today's WFMW post. The foods I talk about are HFCS free as well. All natural, no preservatives, no MSG and NO DYES! A mother's dream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, is that at Honk's? I totally need to come down there on Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. trader joes has all fruit raspberry, cherry or apricot jam-it's sweetened with apple juice

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm tempted to drive down and see you next Tuesday just so I can go to your 88-cent dollar store!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is Honk's, Kris. You should totally come visit me/the dollar store. ;)

    And sadly, there are no Trader Joe's in our area. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very informative! I never think to look at the ingredients when using canned ingredients in my food... thanks for this :)

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.