Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Works for Me Wednesday

So I thought this week I'd join this- I read a few blogs that regularly do Works for Me Wednesday. I never could think of something that ever worked for me, but as I was tidying up the house on Monday, I realized something does work for me:

Random Number Generators

There's a part of me that likes things tidy and then there's another part of me that can't stand order. The first 3 weeks of 2009 were strange for me. When the house is perfectly picked up, I feel out of my element. Order and I just do not get along well, yet a messy house nags at the back of my mind.

It's quite the conundrum. Part of the issue is I don't know where to start. And if I start by the door, I know I'll never get over to the kitchen and vice verse. What do I do?

This is where the Random Number Generator comes in. I number a list of all the surfaces that need tidying and de-cluttered. It usually looks like this:
  1. Table
  2. Counter 1
  3. Counter 2
  4. Counter 3
  5. Counter 4
  6. Sink
  7. Oven
  8. Dresser
  9. Bed
  10. Couch
  11. Chair
  12. Desk
  13. Floor by my side of the bed
  14. Floor in front of couch
  15. Floor by desk
  16. Front entrance
Then I go to random.org. They have a "sequence generator." I put in my smallest value (1) and my largest (16) and then it generates the order in which I tidy the house. Usually each "spot" takes 5 to 15 minutes (depending on if counters 1 through 4 have dishes on them).

With this, I'm not stuck in the kitchen for an hour. And I don't spend my time only in the living/bedroom while the dishes don't get done. Everything gets done. I get to see progress right away, "Look! The couch is all clear!" And I'm not confining myself to order.

It's silly. It's kind of nerdy (once I did this with a D20 when a number generator was too boring for me). But it works for me. I owe my clean home to atmospheric noise.

Click on the Works for Me Wednesday icon to go see everyone else's tips for today!


  1. This is a fun suggestion. This may even get my kids excited about housework!

  2. This is a really fun way to do those dreaded chores!

  3. That's a very clever idea!

  4. Great idea!! This gets a little bit of this and that done and keeps you from being bored! Great idea!

  5. What a riot. I'm also a nerd about housecleaning and am always looking for different and fun ways to do it. I'm definitely gonna try this!

  6. I love this suggestion! Adds a little suspense to the housework. :)


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.