Thursday, April 23, 2009

This is What Nursing a Toddler Looks like

I was at a friend's house, Margaret wanted to nurse, so I nursed her. Margaret was on my breast for a whole... 5 seconds? maybe? Then she wanted to play. My friend asked, "That's it?" "Yeah. That's it." Granted, Margaret very rarely has ever nursed longer than 5 minutes- only if she's very tired or not feeling well.

I was thinking about my friend's shock at a 5 second nursing session. It wasn't shocking to me because I'm used to that. But how often do you have the chance to see a toddler nursing? It's not the same as a newborn. Nursing already encompasses the comfort, frustration, and hilarity of life with a babe, but it's compounded and exaggerated in extremes with a toddler.

I'd like to have a blog carnival at the beginning of May: a "This is What Nursing a Toddler Looks Like" carnival. Blog about nursing your toddler: how is nursing different now? have a funny toddler nursing story? is nursing a toddler easier/harder than you thought it would be? Can your child nurse upside down and do you have a pic?

This is also open to nursing preschoolers and other children posts, too! My plan is to spend the week of May 4 dedicated to toddler nursing and I'd like to have the posts linked up on May 5.
I'll have more details later about how to link up. I'm trying to decide between Mr. Linky and the type of linkage from the Breastfeeding Carnival. Anyone with carnival experience have suggestions?


Birthday cake or breast? How is that a difficult choice?

14 comments:

  1. How fun! I can't wait until the carnival for this. My baby is really a toddler. He toddles, climbs, and moves around like a crazy kid...then he comes to get a snack. Just to hop down 5 seconds later to toddle and climb more!

    So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that is what Landon and I look like as well, on the sofa! I need to get a picture of it before he stops nursing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nursing a toddler really is different. I've extended nursed two of my three. I look forward to your carnival.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! That's a great picture! I love nursing babies, but I had so much fun nursing my toddler. We used to nurse while I played the piano in primary, and everyone always asumed that we were just cuddling until she would pop off and give them a big milky grin. I once wanted to see if she could actually nurse upside down, and yup, she could! Can't wait to see the pics from the carnival!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello! i'm ashley. i read your blog often and got here through a friend of a friend. anyway, we have a lot in common. i wanted to tell you that my next post is going to be about "pioneering the toddler nursing frontier" ...as soon as i get the chance to sit down and get the thoughts from my head to "paper". i'll try to get a pic, too, if you want for your carnival. my toddler is 16 months and is very "acrobatic".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like fun! Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great idea. Count me in! I don't do Mr. Linky, or even know how it works if I were to start, so I vote for how we did the Breastfeeding Carnival, but whatever you choose, I'll likely figure it out. Man, do I have stories to share....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will participate! Let me know how it works!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is a great pic. I'm having fun checking out your blog. I exclusively nursed all 4 of my kids, two of them twins, from birth to almost age 2. It was fun and crazy at times, but totally worth it. Lovely that your blog exists! Way to go, mama!
    PS: found you on Mormon Mommy blogs & glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that Margaret is naked! So true to life with a toddler :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd like to contribute, let me know how :)

    Thanks,
    Dagmar

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your question: cake or breast.

    I am certain I can come up with original photos or stories and I would like to participate.

    I've done both linky and motherwear. Whatever you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My baby isn't a toddler yet (only 6.5 months), but she hasn't nursed for more than 5 minutes for the past 3 months. She's really, really efficient. It scared me in the beginning and I thought she wasn't getting enough. Then I relaxed since she was healthy and gaining weight, and I realized how lucky I am to have such an efficient nurser, haha.

    I'm looking forward to funny toddler nursing situations and positions she and I might find ourselves into. And I'll be readign your carnival posts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also have a speed nursing toddler named Margaret! :D I personally prefer her technique to her Marathon nursing twin. lol, the diffenent preferences make for lopsided breasts! :D Fantastic idea about the carnival!

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.