Saturday, May 30, 2009

Day 13 of No Poo

So I think No Poo is going well, and I think I've hit the transitioning stage.

On Wednesday (day 10), the roots of my hair started feeing waxy. Not greasy, waxy. Thursday I did the no poo routine and it didn't stop the waxiness. In fact the waxiness was spreading out from the roots and down the hair. I woke up at 4:15 Friday morning with some insomnia. While I was lying there trying to go back to sleep, I was thinking about how the waxiness reminds me of how sheep produce lanolin to protect their wool coats. Then (you can tell it was early morning) I thought, "Hmm. I wonder if I can lanolize our soakers by rubbing them on my head?"

I went online and asked a forum about this- does this sound like the transition stage? Does it sound like a hard water issue? Should I try lemon juice? Consensus is that it's just transition. I'm inclined to believe that, too. McKay says it feels different (but doesn't smell) and he isn't against it; he wants me to push on through this stage. That surprised me, but I guess if he was comfortable enough catching Margaret, he'll probably be comfortable enough with most of my ideas. Except family cloth. He's against that, but I still have time to work on that. :)

Anyway, so my hair is a little waxy. I bought a boar bristle brush yesterday because they are supposed to help push the natural oils of your scalp to the rest of your hair unlike plastic and other man-made materials. Other than waxy, it's not bad. I know my hair is clean (waxy doesn't mean not clean), I've found further proof that I am a mammal (sebum), and I can style my hair well. In fact, as I was doing my hair yesterday, I thought, "This is what my hair felt like after our wedding with all that gunk in it... wait... people PAY for their hair to feel like this?" Yes, yes they do.

If I quit now, the experiment won't be worth much. I'd like to go at least a month. On the forum, they said it's usually roughest around weeks 2-3. We'll see. One of the responders has been going no-poo for 14 months. She changes her routines according to the seasons: in the winter she was washing with just conditioner, right now she's using a bakingsoda/brown sugar/honey combo. This sounds fun. And yummy.

ETA: One problem I've heard of people having is an itchy scalp. I haven't experienced that yet. Also, the honey and baking soda scrub on my face is working very well. I've had a couple of zits show up, but not the breakout I was expecting this weekend. Of course, the weekend isn't over yet!

9 comments:

  1. It's interesting to read about your no poo experience! :) I think I would try it at some point - it's great to see how others are doing with it :)

    Joe
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Family cloth is cloth toilet paper. You just use small pieces of wash cloth or whatever (old T-shirts?) and wash them. It sounded a little daunting at first, but since we use little washcloths for Margaret's wipes, it's much less daunting. If it's good enough for her butt, good enough for mine, right? We'd probably wash them with the diapers. However, McKay is less inclined to this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard of a family cloth either... the name makes it sounds much more gross than it actually is. lol You are being my no poo guinea pig right now... I'm seriously thinking about trying it, but I think I'll wait to see how your hair does. Hope you don't mind! :^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jorge won't switch either, but I love family cloth. It sounded like the weirdest thing, even weirder than cloth diapers, at first. But what gets wiped off the baby's butt is much worse than what gets wiped off mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. just popping in to say thanks for stopping by my blog good luck in the contest you entered

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh, I'm going to have to keep up with this experiment. Are you taking pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to say your hair looked AWESOME today! I looked for the "waxiness" and did not see it. Basically you are amazing, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. McKay took a picture this morning, but deleted it because of the messy kitchen in the background. I did my hair in curls today and it was pretty easy and didn't look bad. Maybe I'm getting out of the transition stage- or curling my hair adverts attention to curls and not the roots.

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.