Sunday, May 24, 2009

No Poo

Things about our shower routine that needed changing:

  • We needed to move my shower/Margaret's bath to the evenings. Margaret bathes when I do, but now that she actually gets dirty during the day, she needs a bath in the evenings.
  • I needed to stop washing my hair every day. It's not good for my hair to wash it that often.
  • I needed to stop using shampoo in general.
So we changed all of that. This week. All at once.

Last Sunday morning was the last time I showered in the morning, regularly, with shampoo. Right now my routine consists of washing my hair every other day with baking soda diluted in water. I'm using an apple cider vinegar rinse for conditioner, but I may change that to lemon juice just to see how that affects it.

It's kind of like a fun experiment!

How is it working? Great! There was a day this past week where my hair was kind of greasy by the end of the day- but that was an "other" day of my every other day routine, and my hair is still getting used to not being washed every day. After the no poo routine, it didn't look greasy at all, and lasted for 2 days without looking greasy. I think my scalp was just adjusting to the every other day schedule.

My hair feels lighter, more airy. I've heard that going no poo will accentuate curls and waves because there are no chemicals weighing your hair down. I haven't noticed that yet (I have a wave to my hair), but it is feeling lighter.

This is where I found the most extensive information on going "No Poo." And this is the thread Annie sent me on Twitter that did most of the inspiring.

I was going to post a picture of my hair today, but we're having troubles with our laptop and it's too much work. Maybe I'll give an update next week with a picture.

9 comments:

  1. very interesting! I should try too, more cost effectve and enviromental too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been using a shampoo bar and apple cider vinegar for a while now, but have only been able to get to about every four days shampooing. It doesn't work that great for me, but that has to do with the hard water here. Hard water sucks in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your experience with this and the great informational link. I've been thinking of going shampoo-free for a little while now, and you've inspired me to just go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking of trying this experiment myself... I wash my hair everyday... I can't seem to wake up in the morning without a shower... just can't do it!! But I do think about how much shampoo is costing, and the fact that it's not actually good for my skin or the environment.

    SO baking soda you say... man that stuff is useful for everything!! This is a good alternative to lemons, because those are expensive over here!! I think I have some cider vinegar in the cupboard too... hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, I can't wait to see how No Poo works out in the long run! I could save a fortune if I went No Poo too! (I made a poem)

    Come over and see me - I'm having a Father's Day Giveaway!

    Hope your Memorial Day has been a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love no poo! I started adding honey to my bs and water and now my ends aren't dry and the static is gone :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been no poo (and showering every other day) for years now. I thought I had straight hair, and it turns out it's wavy! Go figure. But I do use conditioner, like in Lorraine Massey's Curly Girl. I'm using Giovanni, which smells divine and is organic. But I'm intrigued enough to give your baking soda/ACV idea a try. It's so CHEAP. Lol! Thanks for the links.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've tried this. I failed miserably. But I would like to eventually get it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with it! :) I went a few months doing baking soda/ACV rinses but eventually switched to a conditioner only wash and then to shampoo bars from Chagrin Valley. Scalp issues. But I now only wash my hair once a week with my shampoo bar and its doing great. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.