Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

While I know that the obligatory Father's Day post is cheesy, I did want to share some examples of how McKay has been supportive of me. I treasure his husband-y support and I know he'll support our children in all their endeavors, too.

I thought I'd share a few times that McKay made my heart melt.

First, the birth. He counter-pressured through over 24 hours of back labor. He gave me blessings whenever I asked. He kept the tub warm and held my hands. He was really wonderful through all that. And he cleaned it all up for me. The next day there was nothing to indicate we just had a baby here- well, except for the baby.

Then in those early days when I would get frustrated to tears latching Margaret on, he was my patience. He would put the baby on my lap and read a book with instructions. Every time he did the reading, his voice was so calming that like magic, Margaret would latch on, even after refusing to do so for half an hour. Magic, I tell you.


More recently, when Margarert woke up screaming due to teething and I was so tired and out of patience because she kept refusing the breast, McKay held her for a few minutes while I took my time in waking up and composing myself to tend to her in the middle of the night. Those few minutes meant everything for my attitude towards Margaret that night.

This last week, I was online reading a forum. People were discussing breastfeeding in sacrament meetings. One person stated that their ward is actively trying to figure out how to encourage women to stay in sacrament to nurse if they'd like to stay with their families instead of feeling like they should retreat to the mother's lounge. I called, "McKay! Look at this! This ward is trying to keep nursing mothers in sacrament meeting!" Being so caught up in the excitement and feeling that attitudes about breastfeeding really are changing and that I'm a part of that, I exclaimed, "McKay, I am NEVER going to stop breastfeeding in sacrament." McKay made his way over to me and said, "Good," and kissed me. In that one word and kiss, I knew that he is my greatest support.

I know Margaret loves her daddy as well. When he comes home, or when we're looking for him after church, when she sees him, she starts giggling uncontrollably. I know that she loves waking up next to him on the weekends and on the week days when he leaves before she wakes up, she always sits up and looks around for him. As I'm blogging, he's reading to her from a book she brought to him. Aww...

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely man :) some of that reminds me of my own Nick... especially the BF support. How blessed we are to have such fantastic husbands :D

    Did I ever tell you that I BF Eve at General Conference (in our stake centre) when she was about a month or so old. I doubt anyone even really noticed. It's such a shame mums feel they have to move, b/c they probably cause more of a distraction doing so than by just nursing discretely... I once was asked to say the prayer in sunday school and had to decline since I was BFing at the time... lol. Teacher hadn't even noticed and we were sat in a ring rather than rows :D

    Glad that you're back to blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pic of you two at the birth. That is such a sweet picture. Reminds me of how my husband was there for me during the births of our girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful husband you have!

    I'm curious about the BF in sacrament meeting. I have been worried that it is frowned upon, at least if you don't have a cover up. I never use a cover up. Do you? I think it would be impossible to nurse discreetly with one, but sometimes my little guy pops off the breast and I don't want to flash anyone! I've never noticed anyone BF in sacrament.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't use a cover- never have. I do wear certain clothes to make it easier to be discrete. I should probably do a post on what I do. I want to be careful, though, because I don't want to sound like, "I make sure I do XYZ when I breastfeed so I'm "modest" enough." I don't want to give the impression that there's one "right" way to breastfeed and if you don't follow that, well, then you're not as righteous because you aren't as "modest." I don't believe that AT ALL, so I've not blogged much about it.

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.