Saturday, June 27, 2009

Food Independence

A friend of mine sent me a link to a petition on Facebook for Food Independence. I signed it and I'm going to follow through on it. Eating locally is good for you and for the country- what better day to do something nice for the country than Independence Day?

We just got back from a trip to Wyoming. On the trip, McKay and I listened to the majority of Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver on CD. The audio version is wonderful. The essays written by her husband and daughter are performed by their respective authors. We haven't finished it yet, so I'm not going to give a full review right now, but it is awesome. If you wondered what the big deal with local organic foods is, this is the book to read. I've been kind of a bench sitter in the organic realm: I buy it when it's on sale. I think I'm going to get over that now. Organic is just better. It's healthier and better for the environment. It's worth the extra dollar to promote agriculture that enriches the earth instead of spraying it. I can't wait to go to the Farmer's Market this next Saturday and buy the food for our dinner that night! I'll be posting the recipes I use here.


  1. I was blown away by that book too, though I couldn't get into any of her others. I don't think I'll ever view food in the same way again.

  2. How funny that you posted this because I JUST finished the same book two days ago and have really been thinking about how my families food habits are going to change. I've been working on writing a post about my reaction to the book so it will be FUN to hear about yours and what you do. I liked the book so much because I felt like she was able to put into words things that my heart and soul have known for a long time. I agree with the previous comment, I don't think that food will ever be the same for me again either.

  3. That book has become more quotable than scripture for me! Is that blasphemy?

    Anyway, since moving here to Wyoming we have gone almost totally locavore. We get our eggs and milk from local Amish farmers and a lot of veggies from our garden and our CSA. Last week we were able to find an Amish health food store and got some yummy local cheese. I am not sure of a source for local meats, but this has been a great step in the right direction. If you can do a CSA, DO IT!


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.