Monday, June 08, 2009

The No Poo Experiment (cont)

I've been meaning to blog this, and Margaret's currently asleep, so this will be quick. This is my No 'Poo experience for the past week and a half.

Day 14: Waxy hair. Looked greasy. Put it in pigtails and wore a hat. When I took the hat off a few hours later, no longer looked greasy. Washed it that night with BS and ACV. Then I put it in sponge curlers and slept in them for Sunday.

Day 15: Sunday. Took hair out of curlers. Very curly. Looked great, not greasy. Picture:
Day 16: Monday. Woke up to Sunday's hair a little messy, so I combed it out with a wide toothed comb and brushed a bit with the boar bristle brush. Got softer curls, though still very curly. Washed that night with BS and ACV. Picture so you can see the roots:

Day 17- 21. Tuesday McKay told me he thought the curly hair was sexier and looked best. I asked him what he thought I should do, "Keep curling it" was his answer. I wanted to wait out some more of the transition stage without messing with it much, so I spent these days with straight hair tied back or in a hat. I continued to use BS and ACV every other day or so. Saturday night came again. When I got in the shower and started wetting my hair, I said the most surprising words ever, "McKay! You won't believe this! My hair feels normal again!" After the BS/ACV routine, I put it in curlers like the week before.

Day 22 Sunday. Woke up, took the curlers out, had curly hair. These curls were better than last week's. I don't know if that's due to the fact that I think I'm over the transition hump or that I arranged the curlers in my hair better. More compliments. A friend of mine felt my hair and vouched that it's very soft and not waxy or greasy at all.
Picture of me showing off a skirt I sewed- you can kind of see my hair from yesterday:

Day 23. Today. Soft curls left over from yesterday after using a wide toothed comb and the boar bristle brush. I like the curls. They stay in without any product at all.

This morning:

Also: There's a difference between waxy and greasy. Waxy didn't always look greasy and stick together, it just felt that way. And if you get a boar bristle brush, read up on the care and use of it.

I really love the curls because it makes my hair shorter and I love shorter hair. And it looks better under hats, which is most important. After all, it's all about the hat.

15 comments:

  1. I LOVE YOUR HAIR CURLY. Especially in the skirt picture. LOVE. You should curl it every day for the rest of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think your hair holds curls better now that you're doing no poo?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, Margaret is SO cute in that last pic!!

    Well and your hair looks great I think in all of the pictures, but I just couldn't get over Marget's cuteness :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the skirt! - and Margaret's little dancy move :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any thoughts on how the no-poo situation would work for SERIOUSLY naturally curly hair??? My hair is my one vanity, but I'd love to have great looking curls sans all the product (currently using A LOT). Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dutchbaby- I hear that people with really curly hair do the best with No Poo. It's us straight haired people that have a really crappy transition stage. My first post on No Poo a couple of weeks ago linked to a thread that curly hair was discussed in.

    Holly- I do think my hair holds a curl better now. Only time will tell, though. Once I get this down, I'll probably be changing up solution ratios and trying different ingredients (honey, perhaps?).

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the skirt! you were so right, I may have to make one to match.

    Love the curls! you were so right, and they are very becoming on you.

    I have curly hair and do the no poo thing, and my curls have never been lighter! I get way more bounce out of them than I ever did with product.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, you give me such inspiration. Your hair looks great! I have tried no-poo, and given up. Does it work the same for all hair types though? I mean, the results. Is it different if you have really thin hair or really thick hair? I guess it should work really well for my hair, if it works well for curly. My hair isn't curly (or maybe it would be if I no-poo'ed) but it is coarse. I affectionately call it "fat hair" and say I am naturally frizzy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooooh - I LOVE that skirt!!

    Hair looks great too, I've been wondering how it's going... I'm on about day 10 I reckon... in the waxy stage... nice to see there's light at the end of the tunnel!

    I think you should blog about your hats sometime, since I've never actually seen a picture of you in one :( lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are stinkin' adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your hair looks fabulous. I am curious about what you use on Margaret's hair and how often you wash hers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the curls! So kicky & cute. I could see you doing pincurls & finger waves with red lipstick & pearls for a flapper Halloween costume! :)

    And the skirt! I want one! It's like an awesome denim tango skirt or something.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great skirt! I love the curls as well.

    http://countrycitymouse-pam.blogspot.com
    Drop by and enter my giveaway:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your hair looks great! :) And your skirt is adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the update. I did try to go poo-free, but I didn't know what to expect and felt like it wasn't working for me. I gave in and washed my hair with an organic shampoo. But I didn't want to give up, so I'm going to keep trying. I might end up getting a bar of hair soap. I dunno. But I was wondering what I could do for a face wash, so thanks for posting about that, too!

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.