Saturday, June 20, 2009

One Month of No 'Poo

A lot of you were interested in my No 'Poo experiment. Tomorrow it will be 5 weeks since shampoo has touched my hair.

Last weekend my hair was really getting to me. Saturday night, I tried a different arrangement of curlers and it didn't work well and so my curls didn't stay as nice. Also, my hair was very sebum-y. I didn't know what to do and I didn't want my No 'Poo experiment to fail. Then I realized it's called an "experiment" for a reason: I can change it up. So I did.

I decided to try a baking soda paste instead of the spray. This is partially because I felt it might be more effective in cutting down the sebum because the basking soda to water ratio would be higher, but mostly because my spray bottle was clogged with hardened baking soda and it wouldn't spray.

So I took some baking soda, maybe a teaspoon, and put it in my hand. I picked up bits of it with my finger tips which were wet from the shower and massaged it into my roots. I let it set for a few minutes while I did my honey routine on my face and washed the rest of me with baking soda. Then I rinsed it out as thoroughly as I could and sprayed diluted lemon juice (same 1 tbsp to 1 cup water solution) for conditioner. This was the result:
As you see, the roots looked great, but the rest of the hair was sebum-y. I decided the next time I would remember to get the rest of my hair and not just the roots.

The next time I washed my hair I did just that. I'm washing every 2-3 days right now. I'm hoping to get up to 5-7 days in the future. I figured with how much sebum was in my hair, it wouldn't hurt to just attack it, even though most No 'Poo sites say to use no more than 3 tbsp. So I did. I used a paste again and also sprayed the baking soda mixture on it. And would you believe my hair actually got frizzy from all that? It was bad, and I don't think it was good for my hair at all.

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of that, but I do have a picture of today's hair. Today I used the paste again at the roots and sprayed a little on the rest, but didn't attack it like I did the other day. I'm still using the lemon juice.

If I got a picture with my curlers in, I'd look like the Bloggess, which would be sweet because she's hot. Since I showered this morning, I don't quite know what I'll do for church tomorrow since I usually shower the night before and curl it. I do have hot curlers- maybe I'll try those. Or wear a hat.

As for lemon juice: I don't notice a difference from the ACV except for the smell. I really really can't stand vinegar- almost to the point where I won't eat vinaigrette dressings. The smell of spraying the ACV on my hair would make me gag, and if I were pregnant, I would have definitely tossed my cookies. Maybe the lemon juice will lighten my hair this summer, maybe it won't. We'll see.

5 comments:

  1. yay for 5 weeks! I'm on 3 weeks now... I'm thinking of getting my hair cut b/c the length just doesn't feel "conditioned" enough, kwim? It feels a little frizzy all the time in the length of it...

    What's the honey on the face like? Sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so beautiful Heather! I love all the pictures! Thanks for the encouragement to continue with no-poo. I have been on and off the wagon for, maybe 6 months now. When it gets really sebumy I just cave in and use shampoo or a shampoo bar, but I also only wash my hair every 4 days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might want to try rinsing the baking soda out with the lemon juice. I've tried it both ways and the fizzy combination works much better at cleaning my hair.

    Isn't this fun?!?

    BTW, thanks for the tip on the boar bristle brush. It's working wonders!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I first read this I thought you were saying you hadn't pooed in 5 weeks. I was getting concerned. Then I read you just hadn't shampooed in 5 weeks and I was less concerned. Then I read that you think I look hot. Now I'm concerned about you again.

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.