Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Comfort

"The scriptures often refer respectfully but plainly to the body and its parts. There is no embarrassment and often there is sacred symbolism. It is the world that makes the divinely created body an object of carnal lust. For example, it makes the female breasts primarily into sexual enticements, while the truth is that they were intended to nourish and comfort children. It promotes male sexual aggression in contrast to Christ’s example of tenderness, long-suffering, kindness, and steadfastness in the home."
From A Parent's Guide, chapter 5, published by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, emphasis mine.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. I always like to see gospel doctrine to back up my instincts :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I BF at church too. I refuse to go to the "mother's lounge". Love this comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. Yes, I nurse in church as well. Sometimes I go to the mother's lounge, but that's only when I want to catch some Zzz's too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent! I appreciate your lactivism!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. I can't tell you how much it means to me to read this. Thanks for the link to the guide as well. I'm going to have to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a Primary teacher and the manual said to bring a baby to class. Being lazy, I decided to bring my own 2-year old, as I consider him a baby. He wanted to nurse during the lesson, so I let him. One of the kids asked if he was drinking out of my stomach. (Strangely enough, all of the kids in my class are youngest children.) I explained exactly where he was drinking out of and hoped I didn't get any angry parents. I remembered reading this quote last week and decided to keep it in mind if I did get any calls, but I couldn't remember where I'd read it. I'm glad I found it again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great, Katie. Actually this morning I was over at a friend's house. Another of the ladies was nursing and a little boy asked if the baby was eating from her tummy! Then he asked me why my baby wasn't eating from my tummy. She just wasn't hungry or thirsty at the moment, but she did get to eat from my "tummy" later. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.