Friday, August 07, 2009

Emergency Breastmilk

It's the last day of World Breastfeeding Week. On Saturday I wrote about how breastfeeding can be useful in all sorts of emergencies: natural disasters, medical emergencies, etc.

But what about those kitchen emergencies? You know- when you have just a few hours to bake up some chocolate chip pumpkin spice cookies and drizzle them with powdered sugar icing... and you don't have any milk in the fridge? Yes. That emergency. Ignore the fact that the grocery store is only 2 blocks away- that would destroy the fun.

Breastmilk! In a simple recipe like powdered sugar icing, I've been known to just switch out the cow's milk with breastmilk 1:1. Icing suddenly becomes 1 tbsp breastmilk, 1 cup powdered sugar.

The wonderful thing about that recipe is that it doesn't need to be cooked, so none of the antiviral and antibacterial properties are destroyed! It's magic! They're good for you!

You can even make up a sour dough bread with breastmilk in the starter. Or even just regular bread. Or breast-shaped bread.

I've also hear people mention other milk products like ice cream or yogurt. One thing you'd have to keep in mind is that human milk has a very different fat content than cow's milk. Your ice cream might need extra cream (unless you have VERY VERY thick hindmilk).

Interested in or curious about breastfeeding recipes? Ask Chef Google.

Of course, don't forget about the non-edible benefits of breastmilk. I've used breastmilk for gunky eyes, umbilical cord wounds, acne, scrapes, and colds. It can also be used for ear infections, though Margaret never got one, so I haven't actually used it for that.

11 comments:

  1. Brilliant! I've used my breast milk for goopy eye problems, but never thought to sub it in a kitchen recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cookies look awesome! Care to share? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I was actually thinking about this the last couple of days. I have a problem with consuming my own bodily fluids, though. I just haven't gotten past that yet. But how cool would it be to use it in recipes for my baby! (and unsuspecting husband?) :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. With regard to ear infections, though, presumably if it does work it would only be for infections in the ear canal, which are rare in children. I can't see how it would work for middle ear infections.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SarahV, well, you probably couldn't drop it in the ear, but since breastmilk is antiviral and antibacterial, oral use wouldn't hurt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Edenwild,
    Before Margaret was born, I promised myself I'd never give her anything I wasn't willing to try myself. This eliminated certain meat flavored baby foods, but also meant I should try breastmilk. While it does seem somewhat odd, I figured if it's good enough for my baby it should be good enough for me. I found it to be surprisingly sweet. I knew it would be, but just how sweet was a surprise. I know as you baby changes the content changes (I've read it gets less sweet and more salty as they get older), but I haven't tried it recently, so I can't say out of experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Edenwild, I *thought* I'd never try my own milk... until a few weeks ago. I accidently spilled some on my arm and without paying attention I licked it off, it was suprisingly sweet! So, I made icecream. I was just going to try a small spoonful, but ended up eating it all... (shhhhh, don't tell everyone, my irl friends already think I'm a little nuts)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I've tried it too - it WAS very sweet, surprisingly so. I remember thinking: hmm, this isn't so bad at all! My husband also liked it... hehe

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have made breastmilk pancakes before. (Oh, and I think my breastmilk is still sweet, even though my son is older...so even if the content is changing, it is still pretty sweet. And, yes, I do sample my milk frequently enough to know that!) :D

    Whenever the little guy seems like he may have an earache, I put breastmilk directly in his ears, whether he really has an ache or not. It has always kept a potential ache from getting worse.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, if I keep hearing stories like these, I may be able to get over it. I tried my friend's milk, no problem, but when I tried my own, I gagged. It's been quite a while though since I've tried.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a question- would you ever gift something that you had made from breastmilk to someone else without them knowing??

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.