Monday, August 24, 2009

Inquisition Monday

I met Joe through a knitting swap. She has emailed me 5 questions for Inquisition Mondays, but each question has many parts, so I'm only doing 2 today.

What do you find works best for keeping your “No ‘Poo” in the shower, and doesn’t clump up? Squish bottle, spray bottle? How long do you keep the solution before it gets nasty and you have to make new ones? And speaking of which, what do you put in yours?

Here's my set up.

The pink/purple spray bottle is my conditioner. My brain associates warm colors with acidity, so that gets to be my acid. Right now I'm using 1 tbsp of lemon juice to 8 ounces of water. I'm considering going back to ACV. I don't really have any good reason for that except that it's just something I want to try again. Depending on my mood, I'll either spray some of the conditioner in my hair, focusing on the ends, or I'll just dump the whole bottle on my head. I usually spray some on Margaret's hair and it makes her hair softer than you can imagine!

The blue spray bottle is my baking soda mixture. Since baking soda is basic, I use blue. It's just one of those weird things. I usually keep it between 1 tsp and 1 tbsp of baking soda for 8 ounces of water. I usually spray it as close to my roots as possible and rub it in.

The containers on the shelf are simple. The one on the left is straight up baking soda and the one on the right is mostly honey. There's a little bit of baking soda in the honey container from mixing up a scrub. I use the baking soda for cleaning my body and sometimes depending on my mood, I put it in my hair. The honey is for my face- I've used it in my hair, though.

Last week the Organic Sister explained how she used No Poo with her dreadlocks. I'm thinking of trying a modified version of her routine. Currently, I rinse out the baking soda before I use my conditioner. She doesn't- and I think I might try that. Also she throws in an essential oil. I've got some tea tree oil around here... or lavender... Mmm...

Because it's not uncommon for me to just dump entire spray bottles into my hair, they don't sit around too long, so I'm not worried about them going bad. I just refill them when I want to. I am concerned about the use of plastic bottles and leeching chemicals- ideally I'd get some glass bottles for this. Hmm. Actually, I have a lot of glass jars. Provo doesn't recycle glass, so we're saving all our jars for when we move to California next year. I bet if I use glass jars and then poke holes in a lid, I could have my own BPA-free No Poo set up. Intriguing and tempting...


Is it necessary to wash organic produce as thoroughly as regular produce, or just enough to get the dirt off? (hahaha – thought I’d throw something random at you :P My take is to just get the dirt off, and just a tad more for any random substance – there’s no pesticides on them. But would love to hear your view!)

I do wash my organic produce- not so much to get pesticides off, but because they are handled and transported and touched by who knows who. I suppose I'm in the same boat as you: wash to get random stuff off.

1 comment:

  1. About the produce...it should all be washed, even organic, because it can have bacteria on it (not just from dirty hands). Even if you aren't going to eat the peel (like an orange) you should wash it before cutting into it, since the act of cutting it can transfer germs from the outside to the inside.

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.