Wednesday, August 19, 2009


Tonight is LLL. I'm thinking about going. Normally, I would automatically go, but it's our anniversary, so I don't know. Considering it.

I've been going to LLL since I was 4 months pregnant. Even though Margaret and I are now Old Pros at breastfeeding, I still go to LLL for a couple of reasons: 1) I have experience with certain problems that I can share if someone there has the same problems and 2) It's comforting to be in an environment where breastfeeding a toddler isn't unusual.

Last week when I checked Mothering Your Nursing Toddler out from the library, I wasn't sure if I wanted to actually get it. A whole book on toddler nursing? Really? Once you're past the first few troublesome weeks, you're pretty much done with the main problems. Baby can latch, your nipples aren't sore anymore. Once they're toddlers, you don't even need to do anything: they just pull down your shirt and latch on their own! Easy peasy! Why do you need a whole book on that?

I'll probably do a book review later, but I will say I'm enjoying it so far. I like reading a book that doesn't think you're going to wean at a year, 2, or 5. It has cute stories of kids talking about nursing and doing cute things while nursing. It also mentioned nursing and tantrums- which was timely because Margaret had a really big one on Sunday. She decided that the wall was something nice to bang her head on. It's not, so I moved her to the bed. Poor girl. Something was just off in her system.

So yes, even 16 months later, I like the support. I saw this clip the other day, and after watching it, I think Big Bird's last sentiment would probably be the greatest comment I could think of receiving.

"You know, that's nice."


  1. That's a very cool video - it's great that a staple such a Sesame Street plugs in a breastfeeding awareness bit in there. Big Bird is such a dear :D He is right, that is nice!

    I've nominated you for the One Lovely Blog Award!! I don't know if you've received this award before - if you did, then consider yourself twice as lovely. ;-)

    Here is what I said about your blog on my post:
    The Organizer of the Baby-A-Baby Swap herself (this makes more sense if you read my blurb about Beth just above!), who has also become a close online friend. We share a lot of views and opinions in common; had her {cutest-ever-after-my-own-of-course} toddler a few months before me, and so always seems to be one step ahead - but that's ok, because I always learn so much from her and from reading her blog! Blogs about lots of things, but mostly about parenting (mainly AP-oriented), breastfeeding/lactivism, natural alternatives... and other stuff too, always well researched and well written.

    Thanks for being lovely! :)

  2. Brilliant video. I love it. Thanks for posting it.

  3. I love the support as well! Love the video

  4. I always did love Big Bird... And now he's a pro-nursing advocate. Win-win!


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.