Thursday, September 17, 2009

Book Review: Mothering Your Nursing Toddler


Mothering Your Nursing Toddler was a book that I just happened to see on the shelf at the library one day. I was actually headed toward the knitting books, but I picked it up and checked it out for fun. I wasn't sure about it because it's not like we have a lot of nursing problems. Yes, she likes to twiddle, but it doesn't bother me at all, so it's not a problem for me. Yes, I've run into mastitis recently, but that's not toddler-specific and so it's in every other breastfeeding book I have. I wasn't sure what this book would offer me at all. When I went home I read some reviews of the book (that's cheating, I know) and a lot of them said things like, "I read this when my child was two- I should have read it when she was one!" So I figured I'd give it a try.

And I loved it. You'd think that going to LLL every month and to playgroups with other moms who nurse their toddlers would be enough for support, but this book was just so great. I love the stories of kids talking, coloring, writing about their memories of breastfeeding and the little mishaps that happen when you have a walking talking nursling like the comment, "Mom,. It never assumes that when you hit X age, you'll wean. It's just all, "Yay! Nursing toddlers! Woohoo!"

It does go into a few toddler-related items like potty learning. It mentions dealing with wiggly kids, twiddly kids, tandem kids, adopted children, employment, weaning, etc. It also gives good ideas about how to respond to criticism. There's even a chapter on dads and their part in the nursing relationship. I seriously didn't think a whole book on nursing toddlers was even possible, but it's very thorough and hits a lot of things I hadn't thought of. You should all read it now, even if your baby isn't a toddler yet. I'll return it to the library tomorrow just so you call can read it.

5 comments:

  1. I started an older release of the book but i'm having a hard time getting into it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend from church gave me this book. She was done having kids, (she nursed her last one until 3, I think) and she just said I could have it! It's great getting free books, but even better when they are as good as this one was!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I am so glad that you recommended it because I will definitely have to check it out. I hope my LLL library has it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I probably wish that I would have read this 6 months ago, especially. This is my attitude on it now: I must not read this book soon...because I don't want to put my almost 3 year old through the confusion of "okay, let's try again." Oh the temptation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started to read this when my baby was a newborn and I liked it but figured I would read it later instead when the information was more pertinent (I didn't want to have forgotten any useful information when I needed it). So I need to check it out again. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.