Monday, September 28, 2009

Inquisition Monday

Today's questions come from AnnEE:
I've asked before, but when you substitute breast milk for Cow's milk in recipes, do you ever gift that food to people outside your home? If so, would you tell them first?
I actually have given other people food made with my breastmilk. Sometimes they know, sometimes they don't. If I think they won't freak out, I'll tell them. I only do so when I'm especially engorged and actually have milk to use and when I'm of good health. I'd really like to try a bread with the milk in a starter, but I think I'll have to wait until I have another baby. In my early postpartum days (you know- up to 9 months), I would catch milk from extraneous let downs and keep in in the fridge for ear infections, goopy eyes, scrapes, etc. I'd replenish the cup of milk every few days. In fact- we found some in the back of the fridge the other day and had to throw it out.

It's been over a year since I've used my milk in a recipe, though. I'm not as engorged as I once was. Some days I'll get engorged because Margaret forgets to nurse when we are busy. There was a day like that earlier this month, and it so happened McKay got sick the same day. When Margaret latched on that evening and induced letdown in my other breast, I just caught the milk in a cup and gave it to McKay for his cold. It wouldn't hurt.

Do you get recognized when you're out in public for your blog? That has happened to me a few times, and I about died I was so excited. 
Yes. The first time it happened I was at a natural birth support group and I was telling Margaret's birth story. One of the ladies there was all, "I think I've read this somewhere... are you TopHat?" Why yes, I am. I've also been "recognized" at LLL by one of the moms. Also, one of the guys we play dungeons and dragons with had read some of my blog before I ever met him; his sister is a friend of mine and I think she sent him a link once. Additionaly, about a month ago, a friend of mine invited Margaret and I to play and there was another mom there who said, "Hey, I read your blog!"

My reaction is always curiosity. I've had my share of both angry and supportive emails. When someone says, "I read your blog!" I always wonder which category they would fit in. Do you think I'm... crazy? cool? irrelevant? off my rocker?

I mentioned that I'd have a guest Inquisition Monday next week! I'm excited to announce that the artist Heather Cushman-Dowdee of Hathor the Cow Goddess and Mama Is fame will be a guest on my blog to promote her new book, Simply Give Birth. It contains 30 birth stories, most of them unassisted births, and one of those births is Margaret's! I love her comics and her books are very fun and inspiring.  Hathor's Zines, Slings, and Other Do-It-Yourself Things will make you want to live in a yurt. The Milk of Hathor will give you confidence to go out and breastfeed unabashedly. She's out to change the world.

So, if you have a question for Heather, ask it in the comments. I'll send the questions her way this week! If there are a lot of questions, she'll choose 3-5. And don't forget to browse her sites. Here's one of my favorites.


  1. I love Heather! I'm so excited! I'll be back if I can think of a question other than "How are you so awesome?"

  2. Congrats on having your story published!!

  3. She may have answered this before somewhere, but I'm curious about what her advice is on talking to pregnant mothers who are interested in breastfeeding, but have bottle fed babies in the past by choice or necessity. How do we stay positive about breastfeeding without making them feel guilty or judged?

    Also, I really miss the comics! (But I can't even imagine how much work it must have been to put out, and would like to thank her for all her efforts!)


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.