Monday, September 21, 2009

Inquisition Mondays: Meals and Santa

Again from Alice:

Do you plan to teach your kids about Santa?
Right now, no. Margaret's too young for it and I just don't think we'll do it. I don't want to use the "Be good or you won't get any presents from Santa" threat. I don't want an imaginary man be a part of the holiday. Growing up I remember opening everything by 10 in the morning and then it was all over- the hype seems a bit much. Also, I'd feel lie I was lying to Margaret. Even imagining saying, "Hey, Margaret! Santa's coming soon!" just feels wrong to me. I couldn't do it. We'll still do stockings and gifts. Must put "knit stockings" on my To Do list.

What are some of your favorite healthy meals?
I actually got a new healthy cooking cook book. I've found that children's cook books are nice because they don't usually have "weird" ingredients- you know: the kind that you don't even know where to begin looking for in the store. I'm a big fan of spicy. Spicy spicy spicy. Fajitas are very regular here. You can make the vegetarian, you can make them gluten free by not using wheat tortillas. They can very easily be dairy-free by leaving off the sour cream dollop.

Stir fry is very regularly on our list. I'd like to add some Indian food to our menus. I like spicy. I have a special seasoning called "cajun." If you think you've put too much cajun seasoning on, you haven't. You need to add more. Why? Because "cajun" means "Add as much of this as possible."

Ok- It doesn't mean that, but it should.

Another thing I've been doing is re-making our favorite foods from the store. For example, we used to buy "Simply Lemonade" which is just sugar, lemon juice and water. Well, I took the ingredients (28g of sugar, 11% lemon juice) and did the calculations and figured out how much those were in cups and I just did that and it was a perfect match! Woohoo! A lemonade I actually like!

I've been thinking about doing some more research and blog about foods we do and don't eat because of Margaret. For example, I try to make sure we have a high-protein breakfast to ward off and delay tantrums. I've even applied that to myself and figured I should eat a high-protein breakfast to ward off irritability on my end. Scrambled eggs are pretty standard for us. Sometimes I shake it up with cheese.

So that's not really a good answer to your question. I'm going to try some of these healthy recipes in this cookbook and I'll blog about the good ones. Stay tuned...

I'll need more questions for next week! And I'll have a special guest poster for Inquisition Monday October 5th. More details to come!


  1. I have an awesome Indian recipe for you, and it's cheap and easy.

    I sometimes use yogurt instead of the milk/cream and cauliflower instead of the potatoes and it still turns out awesome. Mmm.

  2. I feel the same way about "father christmas"

    I'm going to try that chickpea curry... one of my favourites at the moment is a tinned chickpea dahl, and I keep thinking I must figure out how to make this myself. One day maybe... things are too umm... frantic at the moment.

  3. Yeah I completely agree about Santa. I had never really thought about it because I don't ever really remember believing in Santa. But I realized that it was a decision we needed to make in the next couple of years, and it turns out Michael felt the same way. We are also fans of spicy food! LOVE it! I'll look forward to seeing your recipe reviews. I always like to try new recipes!

  4. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way about Santa! I was REALLY HURT when I discovered that Santa and my dad had the same handwriting and I had been lied to. DH doesn't agree, though, so my approach is going to be "Let's pretend that...."

  5. I've been wavering on the Santa thing. Not sure what to do. I totally get what you mean, and it can be a let down for some kids when they discover the truth. But more importantly, I want to focus on the real meaning of Christmas.

  6. Questions for next week:

    I've asked before, but when you substitute breast milk for Cow's milk in recipes, do you ever gift that food to people outside your home? If so, would you tell them first?

    Do you get recognized when you're out in public for your blog? That has happened to me a few times, and I about died I was so excited.


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.