Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Boo Nestle

This week is the #boonestle effort. We boycott Nestle all the time, but if you don't, please join in for just this week.

Last night we went Halloween candy shopping. We wanted to make sure we could get non-Nestle candies. One thing to remember is that even though Kit Kat is made by Hershey in the United States, Nestle owns the name, so to be safe, we made sure we bought non-Kit Kat varieties of Hershey bars.

It is just not about the unethical marketing of breastmilk subsitutes, but includes how they treat employees and to whom they outsource labor.

Companies won't regulate themselves against their own interest and profits so we as customers need to regulate where our money goes. Please don't support unethical business practices.

Baby Milk Action
The boycott on Facebook
The boycott on Twitter
Products to boycott (UK)
List from Crunchy Domestic Goddess


  1. My BIL actually works for Nestle here in Utah, and I have to argue w/ how they treat their employees. I don't necessarily think that 1 example in Brazil in 1989 means employees in general are treated badly. And because they had a plant in South Africa while apartheid was there? I think if you looked in depth at any company, no one would ever buy anything from anyone based on these reasons for boycotting.

    I guess I'm just curious if any of these reasons for boycotting still exist, as most of the research you sited listed dates 15+ years ago.

  2. "Companies won't regulate themselves against their own interest and profits so we as customers need to regulate where our money goes."

    YES. Can't say that enough.

  3. Actually, as far as how they treat people, most of my issues are discussed here. This is actually something I have an issue with the whole chocolate industry and I have seriously considered boycotting all chocolate except for the kind I can find fair trade.

    Nestle can't guarantee the public that their cacao is harvested without slave or child labor. I think most chocolate companies are in that boat.

    As for most large corporations (Walmart, Target, Mattel, Burger King + many more), I do boycott quite a lot of them and try as much as possible to buy local and handmade.

  4. I also, try to Boycott Wal Mart and Target as much as possible. If you want horror stories, you should research WalMart.

    Anyway, The link to the list of products to avoid in the UK said Cheerios. Really? Nestle owns Cheerios?

  5. K La, the big corporations are really incestuous. General Mills makes Cheerios, but Nestle distributed Cheerios in the US and some countries in Europe.

    Thanks for posting this and educating more people about the boycott. My childrens librarian went to the store to buy Halloween candy for our annual trick-or-treat event and I told her not to buy Nestle and she said, "Why?" She had no idea about the boycott, but was happy to comply after I spoke to her.

  6. So, I'm totally wacko, but I bought raisins to hand out for Halloween. (Last time it was animal crackers). I just don't like the idea of handing out complete crap to children. If I could find some small, individually wrapped fair trade chocolate at a good price, I would hand out that. But this year, it's raisins. I hope we don't get egged. (Maybe I should re-consider the chocolate.)

    Anyway, yes, most of the chocolate industry has the issue of not being fair-trade because most of the cacao comes from West Africa and their government won't get on board with the fair trade movement. Since the big companies like Nestle, M&M/Mars and Hershey will continue to purchase their cacao, regardless of how unethically it's farmed, there is no push for a change.

  7. http://www.babymilkaction.org/press/pressindex.html

    Nestle continues to violate WHO baby formula advertisement policies and then lie to the public about it. I've heard more than one US employee of Nestle and Nestle affiliates say the violations are outdated and I'm sure Nestle prefers that their employees continue to pass that misleading information along but it simply isn't true.


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.