Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Cauliflower Curry

Because of last week's series of themed posts, I'm behind in our reviewing of meals.

Last night we had cauliflower curry. See my sad attempt to take a picture of it:
The lighting in our house is very poor especially in the evenings when there is no natural light.

1 inch of fresh ginger root cut up into tiny tiny pieces
1/2 onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic
coriander (also known as cilantro)
1-1/2 cups of vegetable broth
1/2 cup red lentils
1 cauliflower, chopped
1 sweet potato, in 3/4 inch cubes
1 can of coconut milk
1 tbsp lemon juice

The recipe also called for tumeric, but I didn't have any so we left it out. It was still good. In fact, it was approved by both my husband and my toddler. It wasn't all that spicy; it could have been spicier.

Saute onion in sunflower oil for 3 minutes. Add the ginger, garlic, cumin, and coriander and stir them all up. Add the vegetable broth and lentils and bring to a boil. Lower and simmer for 10 minutes. Fry the cauliflower and sweet potato with sunflower oil for 5 mintes constantly stirring. Add to the big pot of lentils and broth with the coconut milk. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the lemon juice. Mix with the rice. You're done!

We lucked out; it's the season for sweet potatoes and such. I was able to find organic sweet potatoes and cauliflower on sale! Plus a couple of weeks ago, organic vegetable broth was on sale (really, really on sale) and so we had that on hand, too!

The recipe only called for a cup of coconut milk and a can is a cup and a half, but I figured it wouldn't matter much if we did the whole can. Plus I didn't know what we would do with that extra coconut milk. Next time I'd like to make sure we have tumeric- and there will be a next time! We were all fans- though it needed a little salt. I'm not one to add salt to my meals, but this one needed a little bit.


  1. I need to try this recipe. I love Indian Food, I used to make it often but Sariah did not do well with Curry when she was nursing so I stopped making it. I find it easier to grate ginger rather than cut it up into tiny pieces.

  2. Ooooh - that looks good!

    Thank you for sharing - I have a head of cauliflower I've been needing to use up! Perfect :)

    Now I just need some coconut milk :)

  3. Mmmm that sounds delicious. I will have to try that! And I have almost all the ingredients on hand, yay!! Thanks for posting.


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.