Monday, October 12, 2009

Inquisition Monday: Cleaning and Naps

Becky asked:
What kind of cleaning products do you use around the house? (I am guessing you use something natural and/or homemade. I am thinking of making my own, but I'm hesitant to invest a lot of money into it at first, and I've heard essential oils are kind of expensive. Do you have any simple recipes?)

As an all purpose cleaner, I'm currently using up a bottle that my mom gifted me from this company. I don't recommend them, though. While the stuff smells nice and works, I received the two bottles in a large box filled to the brim with Styrofoam. Their bottles say "waste less" but their shipping doesn't prove to be that way at all. Actions versus words.

I also use Simple Green. I bought a bottle before we were married and it's highly concentrated. It's 100% not natural, all chemicals, but it is biodegradable, so that's something, right? Well, I tell myself that anyway.

For Margaret's ECing misses, we use a spray made of vinegar and water. That's it. When we steam clean the carpet, we use a cup of vinegar, water, and some tea tree oil. Tea tree oil is antibacterial, antifungal. One website claimed it was antiviral also. That wikipedia page I linked to claims it can even help against MRSA. Wow. It is expensive but I can usually find it on sale and you don't need to use much at all. Four ounces can get us through a year easily, though that might be a reflection of my laziness when it comes to cleaning.

I'll put a few drops in our cloth diaper washes because of the antieverything properties. Because it can damage the fabric of the diapers, I've heard it's best to put the drops on a cloth instead of putting it straight into the wash. I just put some in on a flat diaper; I figure it won't get too damaged. Just a few drops in the steam cleaner and the smell completely overpowers the cup of vinegar. You only need a few drops ever. It's not safe to ingest, so keep it out of reach of children and pets. It can even be a bit of an irritant if put directly on skin (diluted is ok for ringworm, athlete's foot, yeast, etc).

When I finish up those other all-purpose cleaners, I'm going to definitely make most of my cleaning products with a baking soda base. I "starred" this tutorial in my Google Reader.

AnnEE asked
I saw in your post from yesterday that you nurse Margaret to sleep. Do you plan on nursing her to sleep for as long as you breastfeed, or do you plan to transition her to falling asleep on her own sometime? Does this mean that you pretty much always must be with Margaret? Does this ever make you feel trapped or frustrated?

I nurse Margaret to sleep because I'm the laziest person on the planet and it only takes 10 minutes. She can, and has, fallen asleep without the breast. If she's really tired, she'll just fall asleep on her own. If she needs help and breast isn't available, she can fall asleep with some rocking. I've held her while bouncing on the exercise ball because there have been times when breast isn't enough. McKay will just walk around and pat her back and sing to her if I'm not around. We even use the car still if nothing else is working.

I am with Margaret a lot. McKay is either at school or work during the day, so I'm always with her for her naps. There have been a few times when I've been out without her and I've come home to find that McKay put her to sleep. "How did she fall asleep, McKay? You don't have breasts!" "I sang to her." "Oh, right."

I don't mind nursing her to sleep most of the time. I can usually be on the Internet or read a book while doing it. I also don't worry about her becoming dependent on it. I figure she won't be needing the breast to fall asleep a decade from now. If it falls into the "Well, she won't be doing this as a teen" category, I don't stress myself about it. This goes for breastfeeding, cosleeping, and even throwing her food on the floor. She won't be on a date at 17 and have the irresistible urge to throw her food on the floor because I didn't stop her when she was 1, you know? So I don't worry about it. It's just a phase and she'll grow out of it eventually without any pushing from me.

But I digress. I do pretty much always have to be with Margaret, but again, I don't mind. In fact, I feel naked without her. I like having her with me. She's funny and happy and exciting. She's definitely one of the "cool" kids that people like to be around. And I pretend that being around her makes me cool too.

10 comments:

  1. We use vinegar and water to clean pretty much everything.

    And Mini-Dork pretty much needs a boob to nap too. I'm like you though. I know she'll grow out of it on her own so I'm not too worried. But it would be nice if she would fall asleep better with Mr.Dork's help. She's actually less able to now than she was when she was smaller.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about feeling naked without the kids :D

    I'm going to try the vinegar and tea tree next time we clean the carpet!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just tried cleaning my shower the other day with baking soda and it worked better than anything else I have ever tried! I LOVED it!

    Bug nurses to get to sleep all the time still, too. Except it isn't working nearly as well as it used to. Now it seems to take much longer, and sometimes it doesn't get him all the way to sleep, and when I try to roll over at night, he cries. It can be kind of frustrating. But, like you, I'm a lazy mom. Other ways of putting Bug to sleep would be just as hard or even harder, so I still with nursing for now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How long do you plan on nursing Margaret? Do you find that you get a lot of "odd" looks because you're still nursing? While I don't agree with a lot of your opinions, I must admit your blog is very interesting. I appreciate that you're set in your opinions, but that you don't judge those who disagree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed your series on discipline last week (even though I didn't get to make even one stinkin' comment!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for linking to me! I really appreciate it. I can't wait to explore your blog, too.

    Please let me know if you have any suggestions for the cleaners. So far my favorite continues to be the "frosting scrub"--it is awesome!

    I have a new all-natural furniture polish recipe, too, so i may be updating the post soon! Stay tuned.

    all my best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, nursing to sleep. I once considered encouraging Copper Top to fall asleep without it, and it just wasn't reliable. Either I lay there with him for 45 minutes, walk him around for 5-10 minutes and then lay with him for ten minutes, or I can nurse him for ten minutes or so. Nursing is easiest, so I go with that. He won't do if forever, and worst case scenario, if I ever feel he needs to fall asleep without it, we can just stop doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad I'm not the only one who feels naked if my kids aren't with me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sink and Tub Scrub;

    mix 1 c baking soda and 1/4 c castile soap with a fork. Add 1 T white vinegar and stir. Optional; Add food coloring and tea tree oil and scent.

    I use this on all my counters, sinks and showers. It works great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been wondering since you posted on it about how your breastfeeding interferes with your getting pregnant. I know this is more of a women's health question but can you explain that more? What makes it difficult when you are nursing the way you are--baby with access to the breast at night, etc.-- to get pregnant?

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.