Thursday, November 12, 2009

Tarn and Tissues

(cross-posted at Infiknity)

In our attempt to waste less, I've been cutting T-shirts up into yarn, or "tarn." I don't increase my yarn stash without a project in mind, so it will definitely become something in the (hopefully near) future.

On the left and in back, you can see cakes of tarn. The orange tarn isn't wound yet.

When making tarn, you don't use the yoke and sleeves of the shirt. I cut the unused yokes and sleeves into "squares" of tissue. That blue bag is actually a tissue box cover that my high school AP chemistry teacher made for her students as a "going away to college" present. Instead of using boxes of tissues, I'm stuffing the new cloth tissues into it.

While I'm not "looking forward" to the next time a cold runs through the house, I'm excited to use our tissues. They are fairly soft, won't fall apart, and are reusable! Plus it'll be cheaper than buying tissues. Yes, we'll have to wash them, but I can sanitize them with the diapers and they won't take up that much space in the wash.

This is part of my ultimate plan to switch to family cloth. Slowly and surely we will get there.

10 comments:

  1. I sometimes use Bug's cloth wipes as tissues. So, how exactly do you make tarn? Do you just cut the t-shirt in a spiral?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. I cut off the hemmed bottom and then just cut a 1/2 inch strip and spiral up to the arm pits. The hemmed bottom waste gets put in my stuffing bag to be used for stuffing future stuffed toys, so that's not wasted either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a quilt with some of Dave's old T-shirts.

    I have a cold this very second. Kleenex and TP always tear up my skin something feirce, so this time I brought out my collection of linen handkerchiefs I bought at the antique store for $1 each. (A new linen Handkerchief is upwards of $10 at Heindselman's. Weird, huh?) Linen is so much nicer on my poor nosie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea of tarn! We usually turn old t-shirts into painting shirts, since DH does a lot of that. But, really, you can only have so many painting shirts. I have a bunch of old t's saved and cut up to make a quilt out of. But I'll definitely keep this idea in mind in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Family cloth is awesome! Now if only Jorge would use it do so we could stop buying toilet paper all together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What are you planning on making with your new tarn? I forgot to ask before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, cool ideas. Never heard of tarn before. I love the tissue idea. I use a lot of tissues and have been wanting to switch to cloth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found a pattern for a basket that uses tarn. I'm hoping it'll be sturdy. We need something to store our winter gloves and scarves in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. typing one hand...
    we use t-shirts fo tissues and will never go back. so mush gentler on sore noses. be sure they are not too folded up when they go in the wash tho or they will stay stuck shut and not get clean ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should make a video or photographic step by step of what you just did to make tarn.

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.