McKay will be starting an internship at the beginning of May! That's what we were waiting on a week ago: the offer to show up in the mail! It came and he has responded, so I guess all things are "Go."
We'll be moving to the San Fransisco Bay Area. It's really exciting to be moving, but there are a lot of unknowns at the same time. I've been spending some of my free time on Craigslist looking at apartments. I know I can't get any of them, but it's fun to think, "Hmm. We might be able to afford that..." and start imagining what it would be like. Our plan is to rent for the 6 months of the internship and build up (if we can budget in such an expensive area) some money for a down payment so if they offer him a more permanent position, we can move to a more permanent home.
My Dream Apartment
- 2 bedrooms: one for us and one for Margaret's toys and my yarn.
- Walkability score above 80.
- With that walkability score, ideally there'd be a BART station, park, library, farmer's market, natural food store, and yarn store close by.
- Landlords that let us use some of the yard for gardening.
- McKay's commute to be less than 20 minutes
- Bottom floor apartment. I can't imagine trying to carry the huge bed up stairs and I don't think it'll fit in any elevator. Also, I'm pretty lenient about people above me making noise, but I can't guarantee other people will be as forgiving. With Margaret, it would just be easier to not have downstairs neighbors.
- Non-coin-operated laundry!
- Maybe a dishwasher. The laundry is more important to me, though.
- Air conditioning. Of all things, this seems to be the most elusive in the Bay Area, but most needed if I'm going to be having a baby in the summer.
- Less than $1000/month*.
*Laughable, I know. If we double our current rent budget, we can upgrade to... a studio apartment! Woohoo! I always wanted one of those!