Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Down by the Bay

McKay will be starting an internship at the beginning of May! That's what we were waiting on a week ago: the offer to show up in the mail! It came and he has responded, so I guess all things are "Go."

We'll be moving to the San Fransisco Bay Area. It's really exciting to be moving, but there are a lot of unknowns at the same time. I've been spending some of my free time on Craigslist looking at apartments. I know I can't get any of them, but it's fun to think, "Hmm. We might be able to afford that..." and start imagining what it would be like. Our plan is to rent for the 6 months of the internship and build up (if we can budget in such an expensive area) some money for a down payment so if they offer him a more permanent position, we can move to a more permanent home.

My Dream Apartment

  • 2 bedrooms: one for us and one for Margaret's toys and my yarn.
  • Walkability score above 80.
  • With that walkability score, ideally there'd be a BART station, park, library, farmer's market, natural food store, and yarn store close by.
  • Landlords that let us use some of the yard for gardening.
  • McKay's commute to be less than 20 minutes
  • Bottom floor apartment. I can't imagine trying to carry the huge bed up stairs and I don't think it'll fit in any elevator. Also, I'm pretty lenient about people above me making noise, but I can't guarantee other people will be as forgiving. With Margaret, it would just be easier to not have downstairs neighbors.
  • Non-coin-operated laundry!
  • Maybe a dishwasher. The laundry is more important to me, though.
  • Air conditioning. Of all things, this seems to be the most elusive in the Bay Area, but most needed if I'm going to be having a baby in the summer.
  • Less than $1000/month*.
So if any of you know of this wonderful dream apartment in the Bay Area, let me know. :)

*Laughable, I know. If we double our current rent budget, we can upgrade to... a studio apartment! Woohoo! I always wanted one of those!

8 comments:

  1. Congrats! That's so exciting!

    We nearly doubled our rent when we left Provo too. But we also got a much bigger place since we knew we would have another person in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Congrats! But I am sad for us... Toby will miss Margaret and I will miss you and Margaret! McKay is out of luck ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our rent for a 2 bed, 1 bath in Malibu was $1700 (that's more than three times the price our mortgage will be for a 2 bed, 2 bath condo)... and it didn't have half of what you've listed! But good luck, it's not entirely impossible! After all, you've got the dream job/internship ;) I'm sure you can find your dream apartment, too. *B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the move! And good luck with the apartment hunting. ;)

    ~Tara

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm excited that you'll be in the Bay Area! I grew up near there and spend time there every summer. Once you are settled in with the new babe, I'd love to meet you in person. I'll even volunteer postpartum doula help!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it's not too late, I recommend looking at apartments near El Cerrito Plaza. The library is close-by, Jo-anns is there, there's a farmer's market there, and a Trader Joe's. And a BART station. Last we looked this summer there were some 2-bedroom options for around 1000, I think pretty close to there.
    If you look for laundry hook-ups, you can find an inexpensive used washer/dryer on craigslist. We did that and picked it up with the moving truck the same day we moved in.
    Summer temps are usually below 80, so don't worry too much about air conditioning!

    Good luck, from a Pixar wife. Maybe we'll meet some day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS I think you will really love the bay area.

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.