Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Greening our Home: Plastic Dishware

Two weekends ago, I Freecycled all our plastic plates, bowls, and cups. For a family of 3, we had too many dishes so it was easy to part with them.

A lot of the dishes were Tupperware. A note to the Tupperware owners out there worried about BPA: Tupperware has BPA in it. They say they are ok with it because the FDA isn't bothered by BPA. Interesting to note: Last month, the FDA did admit to 'some concern' over BPA.

When we have the money, I would love to go and replace our plastic measuring cups, pasta strainer, lemonade pitchers, etc., with stainless steel measuring cups, strainers and glass pitchers, etc. I know we won't be able to rid our home completely of toxins, so we're just focusing on the kitchen, bathroom, and toy box.

More
BPA: How Bad is It? Note: at the end of this article, one of the recommendations is to use powdered formula. I wanted to mention that powdered formula can not be sterilized, so for premature and other immunologically impaired babies, if supplementation is necessary, it would be better to use the ready-to-use kind. Babies die over this. And as always, breastfeed, breastfeed, breastfeed.
What the FDA’s admission to “some concern” over BPA really means

5 comments:

  1. We are also slowly, but surely, ridding our home of the plastic dishware... my only trouble right now, trying to live frugally, is the cost of glass storage containers.

    I know I could probably find some cheaper ones, but I'm trying to keep my eyes open at thrift stores and on Craigslist... you never know what you'll find there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a lot of Corelle, which is tempered glass and lead-free. It's also pretty hardy- I know they can break, but I've never actually seen it happen. It's also fairly cheap- though we got all of ours free from our wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been doing the same thing. We found a good deal on a set of Pyrex for storage. They're not quite as convenient (heavier, don't stack as well so they take up more cabinet space, cost more) — but the health issues are important to me. I like also that you can use them in the oven, freezer, fridge, dishwasher.

    We're also replacing our plastic cups with some cheap glass ones that we won't mind having break — still looking for these. We liked the ones at use in the Ikea cafeteria, but they're not actually selling that style anymore. Go figure.

    We got some nice glass water pitchers at Bed, Bath, & Beyond, and we're replacing our plastic utensils and mixing bowls with bamboo and stainless steel as we come across them.

    Slowly but surely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slowly but surely is my sentiment as well. I've started using canning jars for food storage, for smaller items, and if I cook a meal in a stainless steel pot, I store it in it too (makes reheating it easier, too). We have a ton of plastic to get rid of, though...all this stuff I bought when I was a poor starving student...thrift stores are great place to find kitchenware, though, if you are on a budget.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a side note, glass containers in your fridge is more efficient than anything else. If you use glass containers for leftovers and such, your fridge doesn't have to work as hard, saving you money and saving the planet! So, if you are getting rid of your tupperware, replace it with glass stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.